cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain name renewal

N/A

domain name renewal

My co.uk domain name was originally registered with 1&1.
They provided an auto-generated 'index.htm' file that you can configure to refer to an index.htm file in your plusnet webspace.

This gave me a number of problems, so I eventually transferred the domain into Plusnet.

The problem I have now is that the domain name is due to expire soon.
I don't want to fork out Plusnet's domain registration renewal charges.

I could transfer the domain back to 1&1 (or 123-reg) just before it expires, re-register and then transfer it back in to Plusnet.
I could let the domain name expire and then register it again with 1&1 or 123-reg and transfer it back into Plusnet?

Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES
N/A

domain name renewal

Transfer it back to your external registrar and use the "hosting only" option with PlusNet.

See option two here for details.
N/A

domain name renewal

Transfer it back to your external registrar and use the "hosting only" option with PlusNet.
Yes - that's far and away the best option.
Aterlatus
Grafter

domain name renewal

If you want to use a domain, never let it expire and then reregister it. It can take months before it's back in the "available" pool (they keep hold of it for a while to stop you doing this, whilst claiming it's for your own benefit with a huge charge to reactivate it) and there's never a gurantee someone else won't snip it up.
N/A

domain name renewal

Thanks for the replies - I didn't realise there could be a long delay if I let the domain name expire.

So I should transfer the domain back out and re-register beforehand.

Which is best - 1&1 or 123-reg?
They are both cheap compared to PN's registration fee.
alben
Grafter

domain name renewal

plusnet are supposedly going to give members a free .uk domain.see the webmail incident report. Maybe they may could do something for members who already have a domain of whatever suffix ?