cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain name help as want to leave pn

N/A

I am fed up of pn now after 2 years & various problems, not getting my speed upgrade is the final nail in the coffin, I have to sit with 512k while my neighbours who I use to rave to about plusnet enjoys maxi speeds anyway my question is

I pay £1 extra per month to use my domain name, when I leave is it possible to take the name with me and will I be charged extra costs, when I signed up I can't rem if there was anything else to pay exp £1 per month.

Thanks
11 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

You can't take the domain with you per se, you need to transfer it to a new home before you leave PlusNet. Allow plenty of time to do this as it can sometimes take a while. I've recently moved my £1 .co.uk domain to a new home and PlusNet did not charge me anything.
N/A

move to where?

so just find one of these hosting compaines and transfer it to them, is that what u mean?

I have never done it before just thought that when you have a new provider you ask them if you can use the domain name and email address.

Thanks
N/A

Hi there
take a look here
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
simply transfer your domain to them while you are still with plusnet I found the instructions easy enough to follow. You then set up your domain to forward emails to wherever you want them to go on the 123 reg site. You can also tell it wjhere your website is hosted.
Great thing about having your domain there is that you can move isp as often as you like withut having to move your domain every time.
As for how long it took well for my .co.uk domain it took ages - all of 30minutes and the transfer was complete.
Hope that helps

ps just to make it clear im not leaving plusnet just moving my domain host - wouldnt want to give the wrong idea Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

thanks

cheers I shall have a look there, I am just thinking about going at the moment as frustrated, just checking out how easy things are, it does seem a good idea to have the domain elsewhere as you can move around as much as you want, thanks
N/A

@doobert - do 123-reg still charge a 4.99 fee for "transfer in" please ?

Only asking as they used to charge, had some "free transfer in" offer some time back, but I've not tried any transfers to them for a while now.

UKreg.com didn't charge (but had no "do not renew" option either).
N/A

The best guys I've found for .co.uk domain names are 1and1.co.uk
(1&1)

And the best bit... its £4.99 + VAT for 2 Years!

Yes, they should be able to handle the transfer, and even if they do charge you, you should soon make it up!
N/A

@doobert - do 123-reg still charge a 4.99 fee for "transfer in" please ?

Only asking as they used to charge, had some "free transfer in" offer some time back, but I've not tried any transfers to them for a while now.

UKreg.com didn't charge (but had no "do not renew" option either).

They didnt charge me for a co.uk domain
N/A

123 do not charge you to transfer in a .co.uk domain name. Its only for the likes of .org or .com that you get charged.

The best guys I've found for .co.uk domain names are 1and1.co.uk
(1&1)

And the best bit... its £4.99 + VAT for 2 Years!

Yes, they should be able to handle the transfer, and even if they do charge you, you should soon make it up!

So that would be £5.86 after Vat correct? I only ask as im a sucker for 123-reg. Its fast, easy to use ( unlike the tools with 1&1 ) and at £6.09 for a .co.uk domain name for 2 years ( thats after all charges ) I cannot complain.
N/A

Glad 123 no longer charge that fee for .uk domains... As for 1and1, I wouldn't go back to them, personally. More than one complaint about 1and1, but the least important one was how awkward it can be not to renew a domain.

Re .com .org .net etc, it is standard to charge a fee but add another year on.

Of course buying through the UK firms one seemes to pay OTT prices for .com etc (I was paying under $3 to register domains until recently, when iPowerWeb.com returned their price to $6.50... still a lot less than the lowest UK prices I last found, of 8.99 GBP - ie about $15)...

Unless someone knows a UK firm charging under 4 quid, please (?)
N/A

I was wrong... its £4.68 for 2yrs inc VAT... and from my domains, they're faily easy to use. Also, you get a free .co.uk domain name with webhosting/email hosting, and if you want a simple packadge, they are very good.

(Sounding like an advert now! You could also try www.encryptec.net for domains/email/webhosting...)
retep
Grafter

1&1 are cheap for domains and very competive on band width costs, you can also run multiple .co.uk domains from one account BUT google uk doesn't like them as they are hosted in Germany not the UK.

I still use them as with good links from UK quality sites, google uk will include these sites in their UK results but its taken me 2 years for google to find 'some' of my 1&1 sites.

The smaller UK search engines msn and yahoo don't mind 1&1 by the way but google brings many more visitors at the moment about 70% in the UK last I read.