cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain name + email

N/A

domain name + email

Quick question which i cant figure out:

I'm hosting my domain name on plusnet now. I've set up IMAP on the default server which is all good.

However im confused:

Currently any email from anything@mydomain.com goes to by default plusnet account. Which is good, shows its working. However i want to set up multiple imap accounts.

Plusnet seem to have seperated their redirecting facility with the mailbox facility.

So if i wanted all mail that went to say bob@mydomain.com to go to bob@myusername.plus.com how would i do this? The redirecting name isn't allowed to be the same as a mailbox. I want it to be the same because i want to set up mailboxes for the family and dont want them to be confused with all sorts of different user names. Logging in with username+anything is annoying enough as it is, how do you think i can resolve this? Or am i missing something

Thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

domain name + email

When you set up any mailbox, the domain name is ignored.
(OK not ignored, but they both resolve to be one and the same domain)
So, whatever mailbox you set up, will bob@mydomain.co.uk, is the same as bob@myusername.plus.com
Therefore, in your mail client, you simply set up each client, (or each profile within the client if its a single client, and you want mails seperated, or all together in one profile, if you want to collect them all yourself) to collect mails from the PN mailboxes using the username+mailboxname method
N/A

domain name + email

hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry i don't understand what you're trying to say.

I wouldn't want mail that was addressed to say tom@mydomain.com to go to the default mailbox or into bob@myusername.plus.com . In the same way i wouldnt want mail that was sent to bob@mydomain.com to go into tom@/... or the default.

Are you saying that if i simply set up bob@myusername.plus.com all main that is sent to bob@mydomain.com will be automaticall forwarded to bob@myusername.plus.com without any of the mail being sent to the default or other mailboxes?

Thanks
N/A

domain name + email

Yes, that is correct.

Mail for jimmy@mydomain.co.uk will automatically go to jimmy@username.plus.com. You can do this for as many mail boxes as you need.
N/A

domain name + email

Seconded!
Although if you need to split the two, so that bob@mydomain is different to bob@myusername.plus.com, I suspect that you would have to use SMTP to deliver the mail to your own mailserver, which could then distinguish between the two.
I don't think that PN provide any way to split them as yet when delivering to mailboxes stored at their servers.