cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain email problems

chenks
Dabbler

domain email problems

i have transferred a domain name i have into my PN account (as i can have 5 hosted for free)

the web part is working fine, but the email doesn seem to be.
when i sent a test email from work i got the following bounce

----------------
<test@garnockvalley.co.uk>:
212.159.11.36 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 REJECTED: Relay not permitted
----------------

anyone what is causing the bounce?
i have domain email settings set to POP3.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

domain email problems

The hosting has not been completed properly and the mail servers do not know about the new domain on your account, hence the relay error. Raise a ticket and get it corrected.

It happened to me when I transferred a domain over and CS had to redo the transfer.

One point: Have you transferred over the domain including billing to PN? If so that is not a good idea as PNs domain renewal charges are very high. You should leave the domain with say 1and1 and just transfer the hosting over.
chenks
Dabbler

domain email problems

it's a domain that i am not renewing anyway.. so i have set it to expire.

it hasn't been 24hours since i made the move, so maybe i should wait a little longer before raising a ticket.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

domain email problems

As Peter said, I also had the same problem when used to have PlusNet host my domain (I didn't change registrar, just changed the nameservers via their control panel to FORCE9.NET).

Web worked, but e-mails were bouncing with the same error.

I raised a ticket, and within a couple of hours I got a response saying the mailbox had been refreshed and it started working about half an hour later.

Hope this helps.
N/A

domain email problems

This has highlighted a problem. I also transfered a domain into PlusNet (not billing) and lo and behold cs had to make manual adjustments. Is it not time PLusNet had a look at what is going wrong.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

domain email problems

----------------
<test@garnockvalley.co.uk>:
212.159.11.36 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 REJECTED: Relay not permitted
----------------

it hasn't been 24hours since i made the move, so maybe i should wait a little longer before raising a ticket.

Well 212.159.11.36 is mx.core.plus.net (i.e. PlusNet's mail server). So the fact the mail is getting there may mean the DNS changes have propagated already.

The mail is still being rejected by PlusNet, so you may have to let them know so they can configure their mail server (as I did).
sam
Grafter

domain email problems

Hi chenks,

I have refreshed your mailboxes and this should do the trick.

I don't know why this happens to some accounts and not others, but this usually fixes things.

The refesh should take between 20 minutes and 4 hours and as soon as it is complete, I will try and send you another mail.
sam
Grafter

domain email problems

HI again Chenks,

The mailbox refresh has completed already and the mail appears to be in your mailbox.

Please confirm this and get back to me if you have any further problems.
chenks
Dabbler

domain email problems

it is working NOW.

the original test email i sent is not in the inbox.. as it was bounced.

i can see a test email from you.. and i just sent another test and it has been delivered.
N/A

domain email problems

samisimpson, as PlusNet knows that it does happen, as people only know that something is wrong when it does not work, as it does affect customers and as there is a reason just that it is not known why - do you not think that this should be investigated and fixed. It does take up time with people finding that they have a problem, reporting it, fixing it. Why not fix it once and for all.
sam
Grafter

domain email problems

Hi briston,

You make a fair comment.

I have had a word with the network guys and they have said that the problem occurs due to the domain transfer process being manual.

When a domain is transfered in ,this is actioned manually by a CSC agent. What the agent should do once the transfer is complete is refresh the mailbox componant, which in many cases is not done.

We are reinforcing this message to the support guys, so hopefully it won't happen again.

To have this done automatically would mean re-writting the domain control system we use and there is other work which is a priority with our developers.
N/A

domain email problems

Well fair enough, the better option would be a rewrite in my opinion but I can understand priority. Lets just hope a bit better csc training will help. I would like to transfer in another domain but after the length of outage of email on the one I have transfered in I have held back.
Mand
Grafter

domain email problems

Hi there,

The reason this is not currently being looked at is because we are looking at a rewrite of the system over the next few months anyway as part of the hosting project we have planned.

Reinforcing the message will help, as we have had quite a few new CSC guys over the last few weeks.
sam
Grafter

domain email problems

Hi Briston,

If you do decide to transfer another domain to us, give one of the comms team a nudge and we will check that everything is correct on your account.