cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anyone recommend LLU?

N/A

Hi all,

I'm having major problems with MaxDSL. One week I have awesome 4mb connections and then for the next 3 weeks I'm down to 500kb. During those three weeks, I'm always synching at nearly 4mb again and just as the IPprofile changes..I synch at 500kb and have to start all over again. It's really really frustrating because I share this connection with another person in the house and the bandwidth isn't enough.

I've checked all connections..tested master socket, replaced filters, virus scan, new DSLmodem etc etc.

So maybe LLU is the one for me?
20 REPLIES
James
Grafter

We're currently not submitting LLU orders, however, the product itself should offer benefits to the symptoms that you're seeing, as it doesn't use the "Blip Logic" seen on ADSL Max connections.
N/A

Thanks James.

When will you be accepting LLU orders?

What are my other options?

Thank you Smiley
James
Grafter

Absolutely no idea to either question I'm afraid! Given the current climate I'm not sure whether we will be continuing to use Tiscali as a third party supplier or not.

This will be discussed at length with BT, no doubt.
N/A

Alright then. Patience is the key at this point in time, I guess.

Thanks again.
kreynolds
Grafter

Absolutely no idea to either question I'm afraid! Given the current climate I'm not sure whether we will be continuing to use Tiscali as a third party supplier or not.

This will be discussed at length with BT, no doubt.

And where would that leave us LLU peeps James?:?

TBH though have not had many problems with my LLU connection. The only probs have been the disconnects in August (not entirely Tiscali's fault as it turned out) and a current peak time speed issue. Hell..even my connection is now ADSL 2+ enabled at the exchange, just waiting for +Net to catch up Cheesy
James
Grafter

No idea I'm afraid, but we would absolutely have to let everyone affected know of any information along these lines.
kreynolds
Grafter

I might be in a minority of 1 here, but through all the problems that other peeps and +Net have had with Tiscali LLU, I have found it to be better than ADSL Max. Still with BT now owning +Net can't see them being too happy with +Net paying one of their rivals.
sladkart
Grafter

I agree with kreynolds, my BT Max connection was an unreliable nightmare. Since I was moved to LLU my connection has been stable and usable. I suspect BT have some dodgy kit in my exchange - but I got moved to LLU before the source of the problem was found.

I hope that I don't get moved back onto the BT kit now that +net are to becoming part of their empire :shock:
kreynolds
Grafter

I stand corrected, it's a minority of 2 Cheesy
Community Veteran

now 3 Wink

I've been on LLU for many months now and apart from the disconnect issue last year, the connection has been rock solid at around 1800/1900Kbs. True, I did get a faster speed on BT Max due to it using a 6dB SNR limit compared to LLU's 12dB, but like others, my Max connection was very unreliable and just before I was moved to LLU, the min SNR had gone up to 15dB meaning my speeds were sub 1200Kbs compared to the 2500Kbs I got when first connected.

I'm hoping in the next month, I can have an LLU SNR of 9dB or even 6dB when Tiscali get their finger out!, to get me the speeds I know my line can take.

LLU does have, in my opinion, some major advantages over BT Max:

• The Bras profile does not exist - Plusnet set it to 8000
  • There are no speed banding's, the speed you sync at is the speed you send/receive at rather than being put in the closest 500KBs band on Max.
  • The min SNR sticks at 12dB and does not increase like BT Max does when it gets a sniff of a bad connection.
  • If you do sync lower, you don't have to wait 3 days (or longer) before you get your higher speeds again, just re sync and you have the speed again.
  • Apart from the initial 10 day trial period, your SNR and thus your speed is not affected by intermittent line conditions. If you get a low speed, just re sync again.

Given the long standing problems some people still have on Max, and I was one of them before moving to LLU, I'm glad I was moved. Max is better on better quality Iilel shorter lines), when you are on the edge (i.e. at of below 2Mbs) that is where Max struggles to cope and often gets confused resulting in slower connections and no easy way to get the faster one back.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Nope, you're certainly not the only ones. LLU on the whole has actually been a pretty good service, of course there have been problems and some pretty major ones. When looking at the fault levels for example there's now a lower rate of faults (percentage-wise) than on Max and the turnaround time for those that do get raised is quicker.

Do though bear in mind that LLU is still a BT product so even though we use Tiscali as our suppliers they still have to pay BT a line rental for the broadband.

Although as James says there's no real decision been made on this, it doesn't automatically mean that customers would be moved back to IPStream.

As noted in the Vision document we'll start to offer ADSL2+ products and BT Broadband Connect so it may be that any move is tied in with that and LLU stays as it is now, or maybe we can offer a choice. Again as we say nothing here has been decided on and we're more than happy to listen to what our customers want to do here before any decision is taken.
kreynolds
Grafter

Again as we say nothing here has been decided on and we're more than happy to listen to what our customers want to do here before any decision is taken.

Time to raise me head above the trench...

I would like to see the LLU service retained and where exchange conditions are met an ADSL2+ service offered. From my router stats I am already on an ADSL2+ enabled line.

# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 514 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8156 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 21.9 16.5
Attn(dB): 31.5 12.1
Pwr(dBm): 47.7 12.4
Max(Kbps): 11968 31284
Rate (Kbps): 8156 514
G.dmt framing
K: 127(0) 14
R: 16 16
S: 1 8
D: 64 2
ADSL2 framing
MSGc: 59 8
B: 126 13
M: 1 8
T: 2 5
R: 16 16
S: 0.4963 6.8724
L: 2305 149
D: 64 2

Or to put it another way....if it ain't broke then don't fix it Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I presume you were affected by the disconnection problem last year. As part of the diagnostic work to pinpoint the cause Tiscali moved some customers on to ADSL2+ to try and rule out some of the exchange kit. Looks like your line was one of these although I'd have thought you'd have got a bit higher sync rate.
kreynolds
Grafter

IIRC I used to synch around the 7000 mark prior to the disconnections