cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dl speeds are a joke and so is the dl limit

brettking24
Grafter

Hi i got a email from plusnet saying that there going to slow my conection speed as i went over the 13gb dl limit,i thought i had bb premier where there was no dl limit.

i could upgrade to broadband premier but cant find info on that,is it best to go to broadband premier?

thanks
14 REPLIES
suec45
Grafter

You are already on Premier, its just that Premier, is no longer premier at all.
brettking24
Grafter

but

but when i go to the upgrade option there is now a premier 2 at £29.99 a month
N/A

You are already on Premier, its just that Premier, is no longer premier at all.

The slow decline of what we get for "Premier" kind of follows with the decline of plus.net as a whole.
A few years ago it was one of the best UK ISPs and now it's just a slow, over-restricted mess.
suec45
Grafter

Re: but

With that option you get 30gb instead of 20gb of peak time allowance a month.

I actually dont mind the limits, they are OK. Download off peak and you should be fine...its just all this throttling which is bad, it now seems totally overthrottled at all times.

They NEED to invest in more capacity, as its just not a quality service any more.
N/A

With that option you get 30gb instead of 20gb of peak time allowance a month.

I actually dont mind the limits, they are OK. Download off peak and you should be fine...its just all this throttling which is bad, it now seems totally overthrottled at all times.

They NEED to invest in more capacity, as its just not a quality service any more.

here here... wooo hoooooo.hit the nail on the head. Im outta here when I can find a non cowboy outfit ISP
N/A

I have to admit that the download limit has always been my biggest gripe. Specially when accounts are advertised as "unlimited".

Kinda makes a mockery of all the hype about fast download speeds being "great for playing games, watching videos, listening to music", etc. If you use it for what it's intended for, you hit your limit in no time and have to go back to reading a newspaper or summin.
N/A

There are 3 Premier packages. The differences between these are that the allowances are different for each one.

Whilst your on premier 1 and are able to use 20GB in peak time Premier 2 has a higher limit.

Out of interest when is your billing date? If its none to far away I dont think you will need to upgrade at all. All thats going to happen is that from 13 GB onwards your download speeds are going to get slower. Should you manage to reach 20GB in total peak time though you will find protocols such as P2P, UseNet and FTP blocked.

Peak time currently stands at 4PM - Midnight.

Regards,
brettking24
Grafter

my billing date

my billing date is 17.9.06

wish i went with another isp company as £21.99 is alot to pay for 13 gb dl limit.

i have sky so when there free broadband is out i might take that offer up
N/A

The limit is too low for what we are paying. It used to be about 8gb when you received a warning e-mail, now it's 13gb. Not much better.

They shouldn't restrict you (with additional throttling) until you reach the advertised limit. But thats just not the case.
Community Veteran

:roll: I dissagree!

The system they introduced was a common sense one imo!
It is a whole lot better than all or nothing, as it would be with a single hard cap!

More allowance in the future has been talked about as well btw.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

I agree with seventhstar. The system PlusNet have introduced will protect the vast majority of customers from a network saturated by P2P. I use P2P, and am generally happy with how it works on PlusNet. I have unlimited downloads if I restrict my P2P activity to off peak, and 20GB of allowance for all other activity during peak times.

I'm a heavy user of http, streaming, etc and have general found it very difficult to get anywhere near to this for these protocols during peak times, and so in general end up using P2P during peak times also.

OK, in the future with more video streaming, etc the limits may not be enough, but that is then, not now, and PlusNet's roadmap suggests it is working towards this scenario.

The allowances, it would seem, are only a problem for people who mostly need to use a lot of P2P during peak hours. To be blunt, PlusNet is not the ISP for these people, and I wish them luck in finding an ISP who really accommodates their usage without restricts - it's just that most hide how they do it in the smallprint!!!

Neil
N/A

Re: my billing date

my billing date is 17.9.06

wish i went with another isp company as £21.99 is alot to pay for 13 gb dl limit.

i have sky so when there free broadband is out i might take that offer up

The limit isnt 13Gb though. The limit itself is 20Gb, its just management starts at 13Gb. Other than this during off peak hours ( Midnight --> 16:00 ) You can download, download, download. There is no set limit during off peak and if abused all that will happen is your usage for that month will be profiled.

Sky are using the same technique (Ellacoyas) and are managing peoples connections.

Regards,
N/A

I have to respectfully disagree with seventhstar and kjaerligkatt and lean more towards sue45's thinking. PN and my previous ISP (Pipex) warned of the woes of all those nasty warez p2p leechers slowing down my connection but I really did not 'feel' the effect of them (at least, not much) on my speed. When I went from a traffic-managed Pipex service to an unmanaged PN, the speeds increased. However, as soon as traffic shaping was introduced in both cases, I 'felt' an effect and also experienced much more variability in speeds. All this and I have never been anywhere near any caps or FUP limits for management.

I did not conduct a barrage of 'before and after' speedtests but ruled out exchange congestion; this may have been academic as the suggestion that an exchange that was uncongested last week, get congested this week, the same week that traffic management is introduced seems dubious.

I asked a while ago (either PN forum or ADSLGuide) if the simple act of traffic management and 'packet sniffing' itself could slow things down. The ellecoyas are surely another step and another 'hand-off' for every data packet (do un-managed users completely by-pass the traffic management machinery?) and are therefore liable to bottle-necking at least in theory. I never received an answer.

In my work I have to do an element of problem-identifying and we use something called a causality assessment. Amongst other things, questions asked are: How soon after the change did the problem occur? How soon after reversing the change did the problem resolve? Did the problem come back after the change was re-introduced? Folks are more than welcome to disagree with me but, in my case, the answers point quite decisively towards the traffic management system even although I'm not being managed.

In conclusion, I am happy to take caps but have a problem with someone 'sniffing my packet'. :lol: Each to their own though if others prefer the shaping - everyone has a choice. Alas, I have chosen to migrate.
N/A

I have no problem with the actual stated 20gb limit, just that I don't like them managing my connection even more when it hits 13gb. The off-peak downloading is very useful to me, and I use it all the time.