cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnects too often

N/A

disconnects too often

my connection keeps dropping out and when it is on it is extremely slow, did a speed test and im getting 142kbp/s that ISDN

whats going onHuh
8 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

disconnects too often

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting your equipment?

Do you have your line stats? Attenuation (Loss) and SNR (Noise Margin)?

Have you checked the status of your exchange at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges ? (VP Status)
N/A

disconnects too often

yep, when i lose it, it doesn't regain sync anymore, I have to pull the plug and leave 10secs plug back in and its back for anywhere from 2 mins to 2 hours.

what am i looking for on the exchange checker??

yep modem gives stats, noise and attenuation have gone seriously downhill last few weeks.

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 11.1 23.0 dB
Line Attenuation 61.8 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 16 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 23 0
Data Rate 1152 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST
LiamM
Grafter

disconnects too often

Hmmm, technically you are not able to receive the 1Mb service... and coupled with your relatively low SNR, this could be the reason.

The maximum attenuation for 1Mb is 60dB. In general, an SNR below 10 will cause regular disconnects. A good strong SNR is around 25+. Have you recently been upgraded?
N/A

connection

Downstream 1864 Kbps (233.0 KB/sec) 2013 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 240 Kbps (30.0 KB/sec) 259 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I can't complain speed and connection have been fine
N/A

disconnects too often

Hmmm, technically you are not able to receive the 1Mb service... and coupled with your relatively low SNR, this could be the reason.

The maximum attenuation for 1Mb is 60dB. In general, an SNR below 10 will cause regular disconnects. A good strong SNR is around 25+. Have you recently been upgraded?

well, these specs have only recently changed, my snr was around 18-20, my att was between 50-54, seems to be since I changed my package to the £21.99 service as appose to the 29.99 1mb, I have been on 1mb for 8 months or so now with no probs.
LiamM
Grafter

disconnects too often

Well downgrading from £29.99 to £21.99 will have no effect on your line specs, since the line specs are basically just information on the quality of your line to the exchange.

Something has caused those figures to alter. Have you tried what you get in the Master Socket with no other equipment plugged into the line? Had any bad weather recently? Got any new equipment plugged into the line?
N/A

disconnects too often

hi,

tried taking off all equipment, no difference apart from attneuation dropped 1db lol

not bad weather to my knowledge, so I have no idea, could it be my router is faulty causing bad figues, i dont know, im not up on this kind of thing...

what should my next step be??

thanks guys

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is not needed.]
LiamM
Grafter

disconnects too often

What router do you have? Do you leave it on all the time? I have seen cases of routers overheating and causing problems with connections. Try leaving it off tonight, and try again in the morning and see if it helps.