cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnections

N/A

disconnections

has anyone else been recently getting alot of disconnections every 25 mins?, its really really annoying when im trying to play an online game and get disconnected, i tnk it appauling after seeing the quality service plusnet can provide. ive tried to raise the issue b4....but there wasnt no solutions, in the end im probably going to migrate to nildram
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: disconnections

> has anyone else been recently getting alot of disconnections every 25 mins?, its really really annoying when im trying to play an online game and get disconnected, i tnk it appauling after seeing the quality service plusnet can provide. ive tried to raise the issue b4....but there wasnt no solutions, in the end im probably going to migrate to nildram
Hi there,
If you can follow my collegues advice on the most recent ticket (make sure you follow the troubleshooter), and fully detail as and when the disconnections happen (your previous log said it was actually irregular - eg. you were connected for five hours when we checked).
Please ensure that you have tried just connecting to the master socket with nothing else on the line (including microfilters).
Please provide whether you lose sync (flashing sync, adsl or link light) when you are disconnected.
All the above information along with the filled in troubleshooter will allow us to present a case to BT, which in turn will resolve your problem - if it is as I suspect a BT fault, you will get the same problem no matter the ISP.
Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> has anyone else been recently getting alot of > disconnections every 25 mins

Yes, it has been happening to me since Tuesday (almost a week), sometimes I stay connected for an hour, mostly I struggle for a minute.

>(your previous log said it was actually irregular -> eg. you were connected for five hours when we > checked).

What use is five hours when you have 100% packet loss? Or it's 1am to 6am?

Can someone please look into these complaints instead of blaming the customers? I have checked everything on my side and cannot fault it.

I can't say that BT Openworld's tech support is any better then Plusnets, but I have to call BT Openworld a lot less for my work ADSL.

Alan.
N/A

Hi Guys,

First I would like to make it clear that no one is 'blaming' you for these disconnections. I think the best way for me to help here is to take some time in explaining why we have to give the responses we do in regard to problems like this.

A fundamantal difficulty here is that as an ISP we don't have control of the ADSL connection until it has been converted to data and passed to us on fibre from the BT network. There is a diagram of this on our website here:
http://portal.plus.net/general/network_ADSL.html

Because we only have a set of fibres connecting our network to that of BT's.it does make it very hard to diagnose problems in relation to disconnections as the actual hardware responsible for the physical connection is owned and managed by BT wholesale. It also means that if there is a problem with ISP side configuration it normally affects ALL of our customers, in which case we would expect to see many more customers with the same problem posting here.

From the pooled experiance of all ISPs, this type of problem is rarely a fault at the exchange itself, but can be caused by any number of things, such as:

- Noise / Interferance on your line, created either on your premises or near the lines path to the exchange. ISPs have reported problems to BT in relation to this with a wide range of causes, including Central Heating thermostats, Street lighting, TVs and even faulty christmas tree lights.

- Incorrectly installed, or faulty / insufficient line splitters (MicroFilters).

- An underpowered USB or PCI Modem.

- A faulty or mis-configured router or modem (Especially in relation to the encapsulation mode chosen).

- DECT Cordless telephones or other devices (I also know of a fax machine which was responsible for this).

- A faulty line card at the exchnage

The first stages in diagnosing any issue with ADSL disconnections like this is to rule out as much of the above as possible, normally by a process of elimination and pattern spotting.

As I said at the top, diagnosing this from our side can be difficult. While we could log these faults to BT immediately, there is a risk in doing this until we are sure of a BT fault. If BT do send out an engineer, and the problem turns out to be caused past the master socket in your house, then you are likely to be charged an "Abortive Callout Charge" by BT. That doesn't mean we won't log it, but I hope its clear why we like to be sure before we do so.

The only thing I can ask is that you work with us to get to this sorted - unhelpful comments will only delay the diagnosis. If you are 100% that it is not something local at fault then please do append your ticket again, requesting a BT engineer visit and explaining that you understand you may be charged. Otherwise the best thing you can do is to provide all requested additional information on your ticket and to make sure that you have a log of the exact time of every connection drop - the most difficult element in fixing this problem is identifying a pattern which will lead us to identify why the disconnection is occuring in the first place.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support