cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnect when idle?

N/A

disconnect when idle?

I'ma premier user(or whatever its called this week)and just recently been getting disconnected when my connection as been idle, but to reconnect I have to go into my router set up and connect manually from there. I'm using a BT voyager 240, which has been running for over a year with no problem until now.

Anyone else getting this?

Trying to raise a ticket for it is a joke. Plusnet really have shot themselves in the foot with this new system. Pile of cack.
17 REPLIES
N/A

disconnect when idle?

I noticed this about twice in the last week, so it doesn't seem to be an idle timeout, otherwise I'd notice it a lot more (or more router is automatically reconnecting?)
Community Veteran

disconnect when idle?

Check to see if the router has an idle disconnect or idle timeout option and set it to never timeout (usually 0 but some have an option button or you have to set it to -1).

Also some routers have an option to automatically reconnect if your connection gets used when idle. Check this is set correctly.

I don't know the voyager 240 so can't be specific.
James
Grafter

disconnect when idle?

It's not an idle timeout at our end.

The RADIUS logs we have are suggesting that we are receiving a disconnect request from your equipment.
N/A

disconnect when idle?

Well its only just started in the past couple of weeks, and my router has been set up to never disconnect since I installed it in 2005.

I don't mind it so much on the PC, as it only takes a minute or two to get it connected, but its a pain in the arse for xbox live.

And it only ever happens when the connection has been idle, never happens when I'm using it.
N/A

BT router disconnects too

My BT voyager 2100 also has been disconnecting most days. I share router with laptop & desktop and every day at least 1 machine has been blocked accessing internet due to DNS not resolving address. Reboot PC &/or router solves problem most days but why has this started happening in last month or so?
N/A

disconnect when idle?

Glad to see uts not just me.

Come on then PN - can you look into this, or blame all our equipment Wink
bluewhale
Grafter

disconnect when idle?

yep i've been getting it every now and then

usually at least once a day

very annoying as the easiest is having to reboot my router

i've posted a few times on here about this with no response
N/A

disconnect when idle?

to jamesbailey:

So you can see my equipment is not to blame (which I double checked anyway) and others are having this problem too - can it be looked into to see if something on our accounts is causing a timeout disconnect?
N/A

disconnect when idle?

didn't the bb+ accounts have idle timeouts applied at one point? Maybe the software is buggy and randomly dropping other accounts too.
joncooper
Grafter

disconnect when idle?

my connection disconnects itself every day, most often while I'm using it, uasually in the evening - I am almost ashamed to say that we just accept this now and even my 8yo can re-booot the router and re-connect after a drop

this evening it has been off 12 - 15 times in the last 5 hours, sometimes instantly dropping after re-connecting
N/A

disconnect when idle?

I'm in my third week and have had the same problems, however it has improved and my speed has increased. I cannot feel happy about random disconnections though, I lost all my efforts doing an online assessment which is very frustrating, but what about important transactions, ie, banking, airline tickets etc? It also worries me the fact that it appears difficult to leave this provider. I have cable here, so at least I could just cancel direct debits and dump my BT phone line, it is an option that I have at least got. I feel sorry for those who have no alternatives.
Grff
Grafter

disconnect when idle?

It seems I'm not along, as I get the same.

If I leave the PC for a while, or maybe play a PC game for a couple of hours, when I go back I can't browse the web, and get the usual dns page not found error in IE.

Usually I can still ping and tracert to addresses, but not browse, and then after a while it starts working again.

I'm not sure if it's time of day dependent as I only use it on an evening due to being at work during the day.

My router is also set to an Idle Timeout of 0, and i still have a wireless connection to the router, so it seems to be past the router.

I did have a ticket raised with plusnet but they decided to close it after replying to me with 'check your router'.
N/A

disconnect when idle?

it's the usual case of shoot the messenger I'm afraid. I wonder what the router manufacturers think of their equipment being slagged off?
N/A

still not resolved

thanks for others who posted because it made me raise a tech support ticket. Raised Friday 11Aug and still no response from PlusNet today (5 days later!!)