cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

desprate help anybody cured constant dropouts

N/A

ok here it is...

iam trying to help my desprate friend who is an old age pensioner, and to be honest is at his witts end now with plus net cs.

first i want to say we both live yards away and are on the same plus net account, so its always a good thing to compare when we get any problems.

however this is whats happened in the past week or so.

ok we were both on 512, £21.99 account, and have been for well over 3 years, now come last friday, we both got are free 2 meg upgrades, mine has gone fantastic now (after a few speed problems, now sorted), but my friend is now going crazy , and all plus net seem to want to do, is now say lets have an engineer out, (cost £60)

but i want to say this here, and this is the infuriating part, now pre upgrade, he had NEVER been dissconected, in well over a year (except for obvious meantinace), now since friday and his upgrade, he has not beem able to stay online for more than 5 mins at a time......

get this,, same hardware, same pc set up, basically same everything, only thing to change was the free upgrade form 512 to 2 meg.......now its obvious to me that its nothing to do with any hardware or set up problem, at his end.... and all plus net have come back with is the usuall rubbish bog standard, plug stright into wall, crap we all get when having any sort of problems.

so now iam asking anybody here, have you had this kind of problem since upgrade, if so how did you cure it.

i can tell you now he is fast losing patiance and is not the kind of man who will sit around, he will simply move to another isp, plain and simple...and tbh who can blame him.

even cs say when he phones "yes i can see your dissconecting here", no sh** sherlock, so why do they constantly say do this, do that, when we all know its not gonna make a ounce of differance.

now it dont take a rocket scientist here, to figure out, pre upgrade all was perfect, he gets free upgrade, and bang drop outs every few minutes. he has had this now for coming upto a week...and he cant stay online, so i ask..somebody please give us a clue.....like i say tickets have been raised, phone calls have been made.....but like i say we get the same pathetic bog standard replies we have all heard a million times.

any help much apricted.
thanks.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Let the engineer visit. You will not be charged if it is not your equipment at fault.

As you have guessed, it is likely that your friends line can not take the increase in speed. Downgrading to 1Mb would probably work.
Community Veteran

do either of you use a router?

if so can you use that on the chaps connection and see what the SNR figure is for the conection? It may be that due to the wiring in his house or some other factor, although both of you can get 2mb, he may have a lower quality signal due to his wiring.

May be worth a shot?
N/A

I had same prob after upgrade to some extent tho not as often as you are saying but enough to be a pain, i am using a usb modem and i have now plugged it into a powered usb hub instead of the pc usb, it seems to have helped a lot but not totally cured the prob, i must say it's a lot better though!
dunno if that helps at all!
N/A

If you are so sure that it isn't your equipment or cabling then let the engineer visit! It will not cost you anything, so what's the problem?

Moving ISP will not cure this problem.
Alecto
Grafter

Even though you live nearby, your neighbour's telephone line and your own could take widely different routes to the exchange.

It may be that his line cannot support 2Mb even though yours can.

Ask Pn to do a woosh test to get Attenuation and SNR figures for his line. This will tell you whether it should or should not be OK for 2Mb.

If the figures are out of the 2Mb range, it should not have been upgraded and you should ask for a free downgrade to a speed it will support.

You could also try using your modem or router on his equipment to see if that makes any difference.

If his figures are OK for 2Mb, and it does not work with your router/modem, then ask Pn to send BT to sort it out as it is a line fault.
NigelWood
Grafter

Re: desprate help anybody cured constant dropouts

@toz66

If your friend is a plusnet customer please PM me their username. I can't promise anything different but will investigate. I'ts unusual to need an engineer visit for a downgrade after the failed uplift.

Nigel
N/A

me too!

I too am getting the run around from Plusnet and BT after my free upgrade from 512kb to 2mb. I have had 3 periods ranging from 4 days to over a week long without any connection at all. And before the upgrade I can't remember a downtime at all. Now they have wooshed on each occassion and BT has thrown the fault back saying there's nothing wrong (after running their automated tests) and each time I have to bang my head against the wall and go through all the same, "are you an idiot" questions before the problem miraculously fixes itself and I am non the wiser and BT and plusnet don't seem to care. I keep telling them the problems at the exchange! I feel let down as I am unable to talk to BT Wholesale my self and am getting almost no where with Plusnet. I have signed up over 5 friends and family to the (now expensive) £21.99 ADSL and have always highly recommended Plusnet. I am now having doubts after all the disconnections, run arounds, 30 minutes holdings to talk to a member of the support team and the sometimes lack of empathy towards my problem.

unhappy customer,
Peter
N/A

thx for replies, ive pmd the username to you.

as for other ideas here, hes got the same or very close to my snr numbers so cant see any problems there.
also all his speed texts come back at 1.9+ everytime.

hes just rung me actualy and hes got to the point iof trying new hardware hes borrowed, including, new filters, and new modem, so ill keep u posted.
N/A

Re: me too!

I too am getting the run around from Plusnet and BT after my free upgrade from 512kb to 2mb. I have had 3 periods ranging from 4 days to over a week long without any connection at all. And before the upgrade I can't remember a downtime at all. Now they have wooshed on each occassion and BT has thrown the fault back saying there's nothing wrong (after running their automated tests) and each time I have to bang my head against the wall and go through all the same, "are you an idiot" questions before the problem miraculously fixes itself and I am non the wiser and BT and plusnet don't seem to care. I keep telling them the problems at the exchange! I feel let down as I am unable to talk to BT Wholesale my self and am getting almost no where with Plusnet. I have signed up over 5 friends and family to the (now expensive) £21.99 ADSL and have always highly recommended Plusnet. I am now having doubts after all the disconnections, run arounds, 30 minutes holdings to talk to a member of the support team and the sometimes lack of empathy towards my problem.

unhappy customer,
Peter

yes m8 in the past few weeks you see countless folks with the same kinds of problems, and yet plus nets cs seem to stick there head in the sand, and give atrocious advice to people, when clearly they must see they have a problem.

everybody cant have something wrong...so why dont they come on here and make a post saying...we are aware of teh problem and are looking into it

something needs to be done instead of the bag standard answers given out.