cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cron - access denied error

Community Veteran

Can anyone on the ccgi run crontab -l at the shell prompt and see if you get a permission denied error or not. This is a command to list your cron jobs.

I had a permission problem when I ran it but when I was moved over to the new storage it began to work so just checking to see if others are getting the problem or it is (was) just me.

Note: I was moved as part of a test today, the work to move everyone else is likely to start Monday now as Friday is not a good day for such big changes.

Thanks.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Can someone try this please before PN start moving people over to the new storage. I'm trying to determine if its a general problem that PN need to investigate or just my setup.

Thanks.
Community Veteran

Just tested my accounts and it seems to be OK for both my accounts (one on the old and one on the new).
ramses
Dabbler

Hi

I've been having trouble with cron since Friday. My cronjob stopped running and as of yesterday I'm getting 'permission denied' when I try to edit or list my crontab.

Richard
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I've asked one of the network guys to take a look for you. If the problem has been happening since Friday it's not likely to be related to the move to the new storage.
Community Veteran

My problem happened before I was moved and was not there after I had moved, although according to Ben nothing had been changed.
Mand
Grafter

Hi,

@petervaughan - We've tried replicating it and cannot reproduce the error, however the problem started since before the move and as of today everyone is now on the new platform, so I'd expect it to be resolved as your issue was.

@ramses - can you try it for me now? As mentioned above all customers are now using the new storage and this may have resolved your issue.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Hi there,

I've checked both your crontabs on both of our shell servers and when I was logged in as either of your accounts it all behaved as I'd expect it to.

Crontabs are all stored on the old storage platform as they are on a separate share, so they haven't been touched at all yet. I say yet as one of the things I will be doing as part of the current ccgi improvement work is to get this data moved onto the new shiny NetApp filers. I'm hoping to get this done in the next few days, however it will involve an early start as I'll need to briefly take down the service as I work.
ramses
Dabbler

Hi

I can't test this at the moment, since I'm at work, however I will be able to tell if the cronjob has run shortly after 3.15pm from here and I'll test crontab -l when I get home this evening.

Thanks

Richard
ramses
Dabbler

I'm not getting 'permission denied' any more, which is good, however I still don't seemed to be able to get cronjobs to run. The file I'm redirecting to is not being written to and
I'm not receiving an email (although I have found that these don't always arrive).

I did notice a disparity between the output from 'date' and the file timestamps. I don't know if it's relevant or not.

ramses@cshell01:~/bin$ date
Tue Jun 19 19:30:06 BST 2007
ramses@cshell01:~/bin$ cat > tmp
asdfasd

ramses@cshell01:~/bin$ ls -lt tmp
-rw-r----- 1 ramses cgiusers 8 Jun 19 19:19 tmp
ramses@cshell01:~/bin$ date
Tue Jun 19 19:30:26 BST 2007

I have a ticket open on this problem: 22163316

Cheers

Richard
ffupi
Grafter

Hello

My cronjobs all stopped on Thursday 14th June 23:18. (Just posted here: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56900)

The server which does cronjobs had on the 14th June from ca. 21:00 serious load (47.01) and then reached 91.90 at 23:18. The maximum load the week before had been 15.17 (I don't know what these numbers all mean).

It then just stopped to do cronjobs:

No email comes.
No cronjob is done.
I checked all entries in the crontab file, and all seem to be OK.
I checked the scripts it triggers, and they all work fine when called up via command line.

It convinced me that cronjobs are not done.
I will raise a ticket as well.
Community Veteran

I've just setup 2 test cron jobs to run every minute and neither are working.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I've raised a problem internally on this now we have a couple of examples, and will let you know as I get updates.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi guys,

It would appear that cron did indeed die on Thursday evening.

This will have affecting all Plusnet customers. Cron runs on cshell02 for F9 and Free-Online customers and that was working fine.

Would appear the instance on cshell01 died though and that's what will have caused these issues.

It should be OK again now so can you let me know if you notice any further problems?

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

My test cron jobs are now running.

Why was this not spotted? Do you have any monitoring to check if cron is running? If not, I suggest this should be added.