cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contention ratio

N/A

contention ratio

If i was to stay on the 20:1 contention ratio and pay the extra monthly fee, what plus net contention ratio will i be on? i am on 2mb Premier.
19 REPLIES
N/A

contention ratio

PlusNet contention ratio will always be 30:1 regardless of what contention you have at the exchange (as far as I know).
N/A

contention ratio

Ok thanks, maybe someone from Plus Net could confirm thisHuh
N/A

contention ratio

The 30:1 contention issue is a touch of smoke and mirrors and marketing by Plus net. It is wholly dependant on BT managing contention at the exchange in the range of 20:1 - 25:1. In many cases BT are finding this hard to manage. If you ignore the Plus net contention figures and stick with the 50:1 ratio you will have a better idea of how your connection could perform.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

contention ratio

PlusNet contention ratio will always be 30:1 regardless of what contention you have at the exchange (as far as I know).

Can you point me to somewhere where someone from Plusnet has confirmed this?

If this is the case is there any point in paying the extra £10 to stay on 20:1? Surely they should be on a Plusnet contention ratio of 10:1 like the business accounts on 20:1.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

contention ratio

They dont because they cant.

Plus Net cannot control contention at the exchange so if that is running at 50:1 or close to it, their quoted contention goes out the window.
Community Veteran

contention ratio

We are specifically talking about where someone is paying the extra £10 per month to stay on 20:1 BT contention. So the contention at the exchange will be at worst 20:1 and prossibly much better than that.

The question is what use is paying the extra £10 if Plusnet are contending you at 30:1? As I said, I can't see any point - it's a waste of £120 per year!
N/A

contention ratio

It was my understanding when the mass email happened (regarding PNs "change of plans" with their "Fair Usage Policy") that, in order to manage bandwidth usage fairly, they would contend users on their network and the contention ratio would be set at 30:1.

I wasn't aware that this 30:1 contention had anything to do with BT since it is a PN network contention mechanism. However, I could be completely wrong.

Maybe someone from PN can confirm this!
N/A

contention ratio

Yes, they do and will contend at 30:1 on their network. But if the BT applied contention is running higher than that what benefit will we see. The BT contention hits us first.
Community Veteran

contention ratio

The BT contention is guaranteed to be lower - no worse than 20:1 so the PN 30:1 will apply (if that is what it is).
N/A

contention ratio

The BT contention is guaranteed to be lower .

It is? I am not so sure that that is guaranteed. They hope they will manage it in that way and in most cases they do. However some are finding it not to be the case. BT will only guarantee a contention rate of 50:1 for residential lines.
Walrus
Grafter

contention ratio

Plus Net cannot control contention at the exchange so if that is running at 50:1 or close to it, their quoted contention goes out the window.

BT offer 20:1 and 50:1 contention at the exchange. Using 20:1 BT exchange contentions, PlusNet can provide any contention between 20:1 and 50:1.
N/A

contention ratio

You'll still benefit from a 20:1 exchange contention. Remember, not everyone on your local exchange will be with PlusNet. Your bandwidth is being contended at your exchange at that point with other users on the same exchange. That's the bandwidth of many different users connected to many different BT central pipes (ISPs).

Once it hits PlusNet, the 30:1 contention is simply a "fair bandwidth control" mechanism attempting to equalise and control bandwidth usage among customers. So it is contention between PN customers only.

For what its worth, I have been looking around other broadband suppliers recently and I've noticed a common trend with them all. For a standard 2Mb connection, they are either more expensive than PlusNet (with unlimited bandwidth transfer) or cheaper than PlusNet (with a capped limit).

So, basically, if you are after full speed broadband link (and by full speed, I mean full speed ALL the time) with no cap and no ISP network contention, go with a more expensive package at a different ISP.

My point is - PlusNet are being rather clever and positioning themselves right in the middle of these two grades of packages in the sense that - whilst you may not obtain your full data transfer speed all the time, you do effectively have unlimited transfer. And the reason they can do this is due to their 30:1 contention policy.

I know the above is going off topic a bit but hopefully it puts a different slant on things and explains why they actually did this in the first place.
N/A

contention ratio

20:1 = Business products with 10:1 Plus Net contention
50:1 =Some Business products and all residential products with 30:1 Plus Net contention. If contention affects your exchange, irrespective of what Plus net ratio applies you will feel the effects whether all or none are Plus net customers.
Community Veteran

contention ratio

20:1 = Business products with 10:1 Plus Net contention
50:1 =Some Business products and all residential products with 30:1 Plus Net contention.

I think you are missing the point here. See this posting: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30313

These are residential users who signed up to 2MB when the only 2MB product offered by BT was ADSL Office provisioned at 20:1. They now have a choice of staying on 20:1 with a surcharge of £10 per month, or continuing to pay the same and be moved to 50:1.

As you correctly said all residential are on a PN contention of 30:1 and only the business 20:1 products have 10:1 contention. I believe that at present, they are on a business type product because that was all that was available at the time they signed up, so they will be on a Plusnet contention of 10:1.

Nowhere has a definitive answer been given by anyone from Plusnet as to what the PN contention ratio will be for a residential 2MB user paying the £10 to stay on the BT office product. If it is 30:1 they will be being done as they will be paying more for worse product than they have been on up to the present time. Plusnet are conspicuously absent from this thread.