cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constant disconnects - another item to check

Community Veteran

I thought I would post this here, if a mod wishes to add this item to the sticky above and lock this thread then thats fine..

As I was experienceing constant disconects - i.e. five minutes on, then drop. Sometimes 30 seconds on then dropping etc, I went through the standard tests..

Used a different filter/splitter, different cable, plugged into the master socket etc etc.

My SNR was swinging between 11db and -6db. It used to be around 16-20 db.

Anyway on closer insection of all the kit - my router power supply was buzzing slightly, and it has now given up the ghost alltogether. It would appear from a little research on the net (this morning at work) that a duff power supply (giving voltage spikes and dips etc..) will also cause your router to drop.

So - just a thought, but perhaps this may also be a fault with some peoples conections - just got to find myself a new power supply and mine should be bak to OK again.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Just replaced the power supply for my router.

Put everything back how it was - i.e. its not in the master socket. and SNR is now back to 20db - rock steady conection again. It was hanging around the 11db mark with the old/original transformer.

Seems 3com must ship low quality crappy transformers - stuck a nice shiny netgear one on and its fine. Just make sure you get the correct voltage/current rating.

May be worth others checking their power supply - get a volt meter across it and see if it fluctuates etc.

Could help those that are loosing synch as their SNR is just a tad too low.
N/A

Would pluggng the equipment into a surge protector like the ones belkin supply do the job of you?
Community Veteran

No, it was the transformer itself that became faulty.

The surge protectors etc simply protect the mains side of the transformer from spikes in the mains voltage, in this case the transformer itself developed a fault and the 12v output to the router was all over the place.

I suppose it could have been a surge that damaged the transformer though, so I'll be sure to plug the new one into a protector.