cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to work VPN any ideas

N/A

Hi all,

I have just had broadband installed and one of the resons was to use it for working from home connecting to the work VPN... now i can do this at a friends house and it logs in successfully but when i try it from home it authenticates but then doesn't connect.... i suspect something to do with the voyager braodband router but can't find out what any ideas?

TIA
12 REPLIES
N/A

Or perhaps there are firewalls at both ends stopping you from connecting fully ?
N/A

but why then using a the same machine on another broadband connection it works? doesn't make sense
N/A

They dont always - for example, I cant play NFS:MW on one of my computers, even when the firewall is off - and yet my other ones are okay...

The first thing would be to check firewalls, and perhaps termporary use another remote access tool like RealVNC or LogMeIn to see if they work okay.
N/A

ok i'll try but i am doubtful as i set the system up.... its using VPN on on a cisco firewall that is hosted by MCI... i am using the same computer with the firewall on off or uninstalled... its software firewall so if i turn it of it shouldn't matter it is actually authenticating but not creating the connection... i have also used this machine at a client site it does then connect so i have tried it with two other connections and the only other thing that is not the same is the wireless router from plus..... this is why i suspect this and i have the relevant port numbers i need to allow in..... but as the mcafee firewall i am running doesn't block it on other connections i would think it shouldn't on this one and any relevant rules are all ready there...... so again it comes down to the wireless router...
N/A

i can't use realvnc until i can get my cisco secureclient working
N/A

I would say the problem is down to network addressing, 192.168.0.1 try changing the ip address of the router so it hands out 192.168.1.1
N/A

the router is already giving out 192.168.1.x address's but the one that does work is giving 192.168.2.x addres's so i'll try that.. willm let you know
N/A

niot that either..... still doesn't work... is there something i am missingon the voyager wireless router?
N/A

Certainly possible, although as I dont have that router, I cant say what has been missed.
N/A

I'm not familiar with your wireless router, but I thought most of them supported VPN pass through for IPSEC traffic.

Perhaps there is a setting in the router's setup that allows that?

Obviously this is not your problem, but when using the Cisco VPN client for a TCP IPSEC connection (as opposed to UDP), and I have the windows firewall switched on, I'm totally unable to connect to the other end (no matter what exclusions I put in). Point is it usually is a firewall of some kind that prevents connection. You're probably right that the Voyager is blocking incoming traffic in some way.
N/A

Bit of a random guess, and I might be far from the mark, but what is your MTU/RWIN set as? (you can check on http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks)
N/A

just to let you all know that i upgraded the firmware to the latest and it now works OK.... didn't need port forwarding or anything else... thanks for any replies ..