cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clean allowance

N/A

clean allowance

it has been said over this past month or so that all premier customers should recieve 20Gb of clean unshaped bandwidth regardless of the time of day, now i am starting to believe that this is not the case.

i can have a torrent coming down between 40-50Kbs,
if i then add another one the combined download speed does not increase,
the 50Kbs just gets shared between the two, it does not seem to make any difference wether i have 1 torrent running and all the others stopped, or 5 all running at the same time, the combined speed doesn't really change.

as i am within my supposed "clean" allowance i can only draw one conclusion from this, it must be the traffic shaping equipment throttling my connection, i doubt anyone from plusnet will confirm this, but i wonderd on everybody elses experience with the "clean" allowance?.

i don't think it is as clean as plusnet make out, i still see big speed increases at midnight and it slows down again during the day, now i know exchange contention could be to blame for this to some extent but not to the degree i'm seeing and not in the way it happening, any other explanations?
63 REPLIES
passer
Grafter

clean allowance

Hi -
all I can say is Snap! My total usage this month with 3 days to go is 7.6gb. , but the clean allowance seems to be a myth I'm afraid, and my speeds are heavily managed between 8 a.m. and midnight, sometimes at 64 k/s, sometimes at 128 k/s, and sometimes at 512 k/s. Bit of a lottery, really. Sad
ceridwen
Grafter

clean allowance

There's been a few threads discussing the inconsistencies in the traffic management description at

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

In a recent thread (http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38392) someone asked about how P2P et al could be in both bronze and silver (I'd asked the same question earlier in the month, but been ignored).

BBrown had replied this time that P2P et al was in silver on Premier and Bronze on Plus.

Which then raises the question of when silver traffic shaping is applied to P2P traffic. If the traffic management table for the up to 20GB clean allowance etc. is taken at face value, then P2P never is in silver queue.

On the other hand, as implied here ( http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=275352#275352 ), P2P is in silver across all accounts all the time - i.e. even during the up to clean allowance P2P is still in the silver queue (with a customer "expection of up to 500Kbps or up to 64KBytes per sec) - and this appears to be confirmed by the experience of some (e.g. http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=277449#277449)

Matthew
N/A

clean allowance

I'm of the view that FTP\P2P\Usenet clean allowance is giving a priority within the 'gold' queue, in so much as you can get your full line speed if the bursty and latentcy sensitive traffic isn't taking up most of the available bandwidth. I don't use p2p very much, but one thread on usenet will run around 113KB\s at 6am (I have a 1meg line) but drops to around 40-50KB\s at peak times. Bit of a pain when you want to update headers, especially when we are given assurance to the contrary. Plusnet should come 'clean' about how 'clean' the allowance really is.
ceridwen
Grafter

clean allowance

@phewes,

your description (i.e. near line speeds at very quiet times but around 500Kbps at peak times) sounds more like the Silver Queue traffic to me (if I've interpreted the traffic management page properly).

Matthew
N/A

clean allowance

@ceridwen

If you open more threads the speed eventually increases to line speed, which suggests the traffic is shaped rather than rate limited. It certainly isn't 'clean' though.
ceridwen
Grafter

clean allowance

Which is precisely how I interpret the silver queue description.

As the "up to 500Kbps" is described as "Customer Experience" rather than limit, I presume that this means that 500Kbps is the typical speed expected due to traffic prioritization rather than that it is rate limited to 500Kbps.

However, the Traffic Management page is not a particularly clear description.

However, as you say the up 20 GB allowance does not seem to be that clean.

Matthew
N/A

clean allowance

Just seen this thread on ADSL guide. It seems that the clean allowance isn't clean after all and is set a de-prioritised profile on the ellacoyas. Not impressed. It all seems to boil down to not having enough capacity on their BT centrals to deliver on promises which have been made Evil
N/A

clean allowance

clean allowance seems to be a myth I'm afraid, and my speeds are heavily managed between 8 a.m. and midnight, sometimes at 64 k/s, sometimes at 128 k/s, and sometimes at 512 k/s. Bit of a lottery, really. Sad

indeed it does seem total pot luck regardless of how much you have downloaded,
this morning my p2p speed would not rise above 50KB/s and now it is stuck at 25KB/s, and these seem like pre set limits without any rise's in speed at all,
if it was due to a busy network there would be the odd rise in speed but it just sits constantly limited and i am also well within the 20Gb clean allowance.

i smell fish :?
Alecto
Grafter

clean allowance

Well, fancy that!

Good job somebody reads AG as that still seems to be where Plusnet's best info is posted. But I'm sure I read somewhere that all that was going to change and Plusnet's own forums were going to get priority.

Then again I read somewere that every user was going to get a clean bandwidth allowance. But I suppose that must be "in the near future".

My cats can definitely smell fish. It's tuna for tea.

:lol:
N/A

clean allowance

Hmm,

Im going for the interest now. Is this sort of activity only happening on P2P or Usenet or all 3 protocols FTP/USENET and P2P?

I havent used my FTP in about 2 or so weeks and cant find a file large enough to try it out on lol.

Why is it that Ian came onto these boards in early Jan and said something along the lines of we need to improve communication and thats what we will do. And yet if you look about now, I cant see any posts by Ian. Infact I have only seen those 2 from the beginning of Jan.

It is as Geoff has said AG definately seems to be getting priority atm, but this may be because it is in the public light more than these boards.

Anyway, to have confirmations on what protocols seem to be affected would be great and also some sort of post from Plusnet in response to this thread would be even better.

Regards,
Bizlat
Grafter

clean allowance

18GB peak time so far,p2p speeds up and down but my usenet is consistently maxing im gonna just dl thru the usenet after midnight.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: clean allowance

i can have a torrent coming down between 40-50Kbs,
if i then add another one the combined download speed does not increase,
the 50Kbs just gets shared between the two, it does not seem to make any difference wether i have 1 torrent running and all the others stopped, or 5 all running at the same time, the combined speed doesn't really change.

At what time of day is this happening and is it any different overnight? If it's the same overnight and you don't see speeds increase I would say that it's unlikely to be any kind of management on our network. If your speeds increase at night then it needs to be looked into in a bit more detail to see what's happening.

Have you tried either usenet or FTP as well as speedtest to see what sort of differences in speeds these give compared to the P2P?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

clean allowance

But I'm sure I read somewhere that all that was going to change and Plusnet's own forums were going to get priority.

The PlusNet/F9/FOL/Metronet portal forums and newsgroups are the Comms Team's priority and where we spend the most time, but where questions are being asked elsewhere, whether that's ADSLGuide, uk.telecom.broadband, PlusNetters, the PUG forum, ISPreview, Networktek, alt.internet.providers.uk or one of many other places we will answer them, but the main focus is here, is on the F9 forum, and the other portal forums and usenet.
N/A

Re: clean allowance

At what time of day is this happening and is it any different overnight? If it's the same overnight and you don't see speeds increase I would say that it's unlikely to be any kind of management on our network.

Hiya dave,

A quick question.....

You use the wording "I would say that it's unlikely to be any kind of management on our network."

When you say "unlikely", that means that you can not be 100% sure right?
So i take it you can not be 100% sure that if someone is on 'clean to' bandwith and they are under any cap limits that ELLACRAPUS is not going to throttle or affect them in anyway?

Alot of people have mentioned slow speeds before midnight dave, is it possible for someone to look into wether ELLACRAPUS can be affecting users it should not be touching??

thanks.

I