cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing lite package details - how & when

N/A

I signed up recently & I'm just finishing my first month, I'm on a 1mb@14.99 lite package & I prepayed for an extra 4gb of data so I have a total of 5.

With 1 day to go I still have over 1gb left, so will I be charged this 14.99 if I change my prepay to be for only an extra 3 gb, thereby reducing what PN get each month? :?:
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Changing your lite inclusive allowance should be free, however there are reports of people trying this and being asked to pay the admin fee which I believe is wrong but PlusNet have never investigated this.

Try going through the 'upgrade' path via connection settings and choose a lower inclusive amount and see what the summary page at the end says. It should not show a £14.99 admin charge for reducing your monthly amount. If it does, query this in a contact us ticket.
N/A

Peter, replying to this brings up other items & questions that I fear may be better in another topic, can a mod please split my question to a new one "changing lite package details - how & when?"

Cheers.
Community Veteran

Now done.

Chris
N/A

Thank you Chris.

To continue:

OK, I signed up at 1mb with 1gb transfer at £14.99.
I then had to ring up & change it to prepay for more data because it was not part of the signup process (discussed elsewhere), I thought an extra 4gb should do.

This section of the FAQ says that
On each billing date your included amount is automatically reset to the level included as standard with your package.

Q Is this resetting it to 14.99 or will it reset it to the 5gb total it is for this month?

However, the basic 14.99 had automatically been setup & deducted from my account.
With pre pay, the bill for this data actually comes out of my bank account at the next payment date (tommorrow).

Q Is this next payment likely to be 14.99 plus this months prepayed data plus next months pre payed data?

Now that I am nearer the end of the month, I can see that I have only actually used under 4gb off data.
Fair enough I will accept that I pre payed for too much this month & will lose the 1gb extra cost.
However, before the renewal & want to change next months to be 4gb.

The upgrade path will not let me do this, it says that I must leave 30 days between package changes?

Q Why does it do that?

In doing this it revents me changing my lite package (for next month) to the basic account that it is & prepaying for an extra 3 gb instead of 4gb. Was this just because I was trying to lower my settings or will it also prevent me from adding more pre pay within 30 days?

This section of the FAQ says:
10. When will I be billed for any extra data transfer that I use?
You will be charged each month with your next subscription payment. Similarly, if you change your package to include extra pre-pay data transfer, this too will be charged with your next subscription payment.

Surely this is then NOT "pre pay" it is "pay afterwards" ?
So what's the difference between "pre pay" & pay as you go" apart from the price?

I'm sure that the impression I was given of the lite packages is that you are on a basic package of 1gb & that you have the abiility to pre-add extra data when you can see that you are going to be using more.

The impression that I get is that I can have the account at 1gb, pre pay for an extra 3gb & then when nearing the end of that 3gb pre pay for more if I know that I am going to use more.
Q Is this not so?

Otherwise
Q Why is it that we have to give 30 days notice of this?
Are we expected to be clairvoyant? Surely as long as the change is done before the renewal date then given as it's all computerised it should be possible without having to ring CS to do it?

Also when in connection settings, we lite users have the ability to change our package to increase or lower our data usage.
Why then is it called "upgrade account" instead of "change account" ?

Why too do the FAQ's never have the questions in that we ask? Cheesy Cheesy

Thankyou.
Community Veteran

OK, I signed up at 1mb with 1gb transfer at £14.99.
I then had to ring up & change it to prepay for more data because it was not part of the signup process (discussed elsewhere), I thought an extra 4gb should do.

This can be changed via the portal if you need to do this again (or reduce the amount). Just click on the upgrade icon found under Account details.

This section of the FAQ says that
On each billing date your included amount is automatically reset to the level included as standard with your package.

Q Is this resetting it to 14.99 or will it reset it to the 5gb total it is for this month?

Hmm.. that FAQ item is not very well written. It actually means the usage you have used so far is reset to 0 at the beginning of each billing period - the View My Usage age shows 0. It does no affect the inclusive allowance you are paying for - you still get 5GB.

However, the basic 14.99 had automatically been setup & deducted from my account.
With pre pay, the bill for this data actually comes out of my bank account at the next payment date (tommorrow).

Q Is this next payment likely to be 14.99 plus this months prepayed data plus next months pre payed data?

That i'm not sure about. Does your current View My Usage show your pre-pay allowance as 5GB or 1GB? Normally one change can be made per month and it applies from the next billing date but upgrades in allowance may be treated differently to downgrades (i.e. upgrades occur immediately but downgrades apply from next billing date). If you have not already paid for the additional 4GB then it is likely to be included in tomorrows payment together with the £14.99 & the pre-pay amount for your 4GB.

Now that I am nearer the end of the month, I can see that I have only actually used under 4gb off data.
Fair enough I will accept that I pre payed for too much this month & will lose the 1gb extra cost.
However, before the renewal & want to change next months to be 4gb.

The upgrade path will not let me do this, it says that I must leave 30 days between package changes?

Q Why does it do that?

As I explained above, PlusNet only allow 1 change per billing month to be made. This stops people changing it several times causing a lot of admin verhead and possible confusion. Also some changes don't actually apply until the next billing date as I explained above.

In doing this it revents me changing my lite package (for next month) to the basic account that it is & prepaying for an extra 3 gb instead of 4gb. Was this just because I was trying to lower my settings or will it also prevent me from adding more pre pay within 30 days?

I'm guessing you have already made a change this month (to go from 1GB -> 5GB) in which case you have to wait until next month before you can make another change for the reasons I gave above. This is just one of the restrictions with the lite account.

This section of the FAQ says:
10. When will I be billed for any extra data transfer that I use?
You will be charged each month with your next subscription payment. Similarly, if you change your package to include extra pre-pay data transfer, this too will be charged with your next subscription payment.

Surely this is then NOT "pre pay" it is "pay afterwards" ?
So what's the difference between "pre pay" & pay as you go" apart from the price?

If you had used 5.5GBs this month you would have gone over your pre-pay allowance so would have to pay for 1GB under pay as you go. It is this payment that get's added to the folllowing months bill.

pre-paying just saves you 25p per GB. If you tend to have a lot of variable months you could just decide to stick with the basic 1GB allowance and just pay as you go. For some this may turn out cheaper that pre-paying and not using your allowance.

I'm sure that the impression I was given of the lite packages is that you are on a basic package of 1gb & that you have the abiility to pre-add extra data when you can see that you are going to be using more.

The impression that I get is that I can have the account at 1gb, pre pay for an extra 3gb & then when nearing the end of that 3gb pre pay for more if I know that I am going to use more.
Q Is this not so?

Not really. What people tend to do is decide what they believe they will use each month and pre-pay for that. On the months they go over they just pay a little extra for what they use (in 1GB increments) via pay as you go. PlusNet never intended people to keep changing their inclusive allowances several times part way through the month which is why the 1 change per month is applied.

Otherwise
Q Why is it that we have to give 30 days notice of this?
Are we expected to be clairvoyant? Surely as long as the change is done before the renewal date then given as it's all computerised it should be possible without having to ring CS to do it?

Over a period of time you will know what your average monthly usage is and pre-pay for that accordingly. It was never intended to be a flexible as you appear to expect it to be. I don't know all the reasons why the 1 change/month rule exists but it does make the internal systems and admion f gthe accounts much easier as the billing systems only have to deal with change/month. It also means there is less likelyghood of confusion whether you changed it to such and such and CS say you didn't.

Also when in connection settings, we lite users have the ability to change our package to increase or lower our data usage.
Why then is it called "upgrade account" instead of "change account" ?

Because it is mainly used for upgrading. That name was also there before the lite accounts existsed so upgrading was the only thing people could do before they existed. I guess they just kept it he same as people were used to it.
N/A

Thank you for the reply Peter.

I guess that I'll let it ride for this/next month as I want to change to the 21.99 Premier in April anyway.
Other than that it would have to be a call to CS.

However, the 1 change per month thing was not mentioned in anything that I saw when signing up or looking into the account, nore when contacting sales.

Perhaps it should be made a LOT clearer in the FAQ as I do get the impression that I "can" change it from the current ones.

What problems can happen if I was to pre pay at the start of the month & then prepay for more during the month?

Surely it should not make any accounting problems etc as AFAIK the bill is not totalled until the day before the payement is due.

Cheers,
Zoombini.