cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cgi space disappeared

N/A

cgi space disappeared

I have a friend who had a site he recently built on the cgi server ( http://cgi.dizkin.plus.com ) and also used the plusnet sql server for the backend stuff. Since the introduction of the new cgi server his old cgi webspace is inaccesable via browser and via ftp. So he called me to ask about the new cgi server and i advised him it should have no effect over his existing site until the 90 days is up. I told him he would be best calling plusnet to see whats happening with his site.

He has called plusnet and they have advised him that all his website and mysql was wiped a few days ago when he called to change package from the 29.99 to the 21.99 package. "Rubbish" i said "changing package has never wiped any of my sites before" but sure enough his mysql is inactive and so is his cgi space on the old cgi server.

Surely thats not right ?!? and if it is why didnt plusnet warn him when he called them to change package ??

Needless to say he is a bit p**sed about it.
13 REPLIES
N/A

cgi space disappeared

PS. Ticket number is 16882618 although they didnt make any real notes regarding his phone call.
LiamM
Grafter

cgi space disappeared

I did the same thing. All of my CGI space etc... remained intact.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

cgi space disappeared

There seems to be a problem with the old CGI componant on this particular account. I have refreshed it, please allow 4 hours for this to become active.
N/A

cgi space disappeared

And will this fix his mysql database ?, because that is also showing as inactive.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

cgi space disappeared

The best way to activate MySQL is via the "Website Settings" section of the member centre.
N/A

cgi space disappeared

yes i know but i what about his existing database ?
N/A

cgi space disappeared

bye bye?
N/A

cgi space disappeared

well i certainly hope not, after the last time plusnet lost everyones data due to the disk crash this was his 2nd attempt at re-building his site....
N/A

cgi space disappeared

I have to say though, lessons where supposed to have been learnt by customers as well as PlusNet with the data losses of last time.

Customers are supposed to hold backups of their own data.
N/A

cgi space disappeared

Indeed backups are essential, but the site was still in development so there are lots of changes between backups and you don't really expect changing package to cause a problem.

but the point is...has all his daatabase/file been lost ? and if so what is the explanation from plusnet ?
N/A

cgi space disappeared

I beleive an explanation was posted above.

As for account changes, these are one of the times I would especiaily make a snapshot of my work.
Julie
Grafter

cgi space disappeared

I agree I always keep backups of the database and files

However, I do not see an explantion of why the databse was lost...as far as I recall only the cgi files were lost not the database ?
N/A

cgi space disappeared

Well the agent on the telephone said the change of package had effected his cgi space and said the files might re-appear, but wasn't sure. The above posts give no clue as to wether the files will re-appear. Neither the agent or the above posts give any clue about the state of his sql database.

I've never heard of anyone loosing cgi or sql data due to a package change before and i dont think "There seems to be a problem with the old CGI componant on this particular account" quite covers an explination.

I dont mean to go on but when you refer someone to plusnet saying the service is great and then you see their hard work go down the pan due to a mistake at plusnet with no apologies it does make you a little angry.