Did you mean: 

cgi server email address

N/A

cgi server email address

I connected to the cgi server with ssh and typed:

echo test | mail test@username.plus.com

However, the reply address on the email I received was:

username@cgi05.plus.net

and when I replied to this address the email seems to go nowhere.

As scripts, crontabs and such use the user's default email address unless otherwise changed, shouldn't this be corrected so that a valid email address is used as default?
17 REPLIES
N/A

cgi server email address

Hi,
You are able to set the reply-to address by doing:

export REPLYTO="blah@blah.com"

When someone replys to the e-mail it would go to this address however im not sure how to change the e-mail it appears to be from using the mail command. For more info there is the freeBSD mail man page at: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mail&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.10-STABLE&format...

Hope this helps.
N/A

cgi server email address

Hi,

You may want to look at the "sendmail" command:

echo test | sendmail -ftest@test.com to@email.com

will appear to send an e-mail address from test@test.com.

Hope this helps.
N/A

cgi server email address

I'm aware that the "From:" header can be changed manually.

I am suggesting that the cgi server should be configured to use a valid email address when sending mail by default.
Community Veteran

cgi server email address

So what valid email address should it use and how would that solve your issue? It does not know any of your valid email addresses so it uses it's own default which happens to not be a valid one for very valid reasons -so no-one uses it.

If the CGI server did have a valid one what do you think would happen to any email sent to it. It would just sit in an inbox with no-one reading it and the sender would not know it had not been sent to you.

It is actually correct that an invalid email address is used because anyone replying to it would get a failed delivery message and thus would know the email has not been sent.
N/A

cgi server email address

So what valid email address should it use and how would that solve your issue? It does not know any of your valid email addresses so it uses it's own default which happens to not be a valid one for very valid reasons -so no-one uses it.

Email sent to username@cgi05.plus.net can be put into my default mailbox, simple.

If the CGI server did have a valid one what do you think would happen to any email sent to it. It would just sit in an inbox with no-one reading it and the sender would not know it had not been sent to you.

See above.

It is actually correct that an invalid email address is used because anyone replying to it would get a failed delivery message and thus would know the email has not been sent.

No failed delivery message, see above.
N/A

cgi server email address

Hi There

The idea is that the cgi server is really a customer driven and managed platfrom it is not something that we actively support in this manner and Peter is quite correct. If you want to do this you really would be best to set things yourself and then you will have the format and address you choose.
Community Veteran

cgi server email address

Thanks last poster very helpful!
We messed up when configuring the cgi server, and created black hole e-mail addresses, now it’s your problem to sort out.

This still has not answered the question of where e-mails addressed to username@cgi05.plus.net, go. There is NO reject message and they are not in the user mailbox on the cgi server.

Could I suggest that the system is setup so that they are forwarded to; cgi@username.plus.com.

Chilly
N/A

cgi server email address

Oh yeah, it has skipped my mind as to where the emails actually are going Smiley Yep, there is no email bounce...
Community Veteran

cgi server email address

I have added a thread in the “idea and suggestion.” Forum.
Thread removed

I have removed the suggestions tread, as in hindsight users should set up their own reply address using;
export REPLYTO=blah@blah.com

However personally I think that a tutorial on how to use the e-mail features on the cgi server, including setting the “replyto” would be a great idea.

Anyone in the tutorial team up to the challenge.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

cgi server email address

I am getting a bit lost here.

It has been pointed out that you have the choice as to whether you want to receive replies to emails by correctly configuring the software sending the messages out.

You appear to have made the choice that you do not want to receive replies as you have not followed the suggestions. Where's the problem?

The cgi service is intended for people who have some idea of what they are doing, and therefore it is not unreasonable to expect people to make the simple changes required.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

cgi server email address

It has been pointed out that you have the choice as to whether you want to receive replies to emails by correctly configuring the software sending the messages out.

I have seen no good argument as yet as to why a valid email address isn't set up by default.

By default, it is quite useful for crontab errors for instance, to come to me rather than a black hole.
Community Veteran

cgi server email address

I have seen no good argument as yet as to why a valid email address isn't set up by default.

I suspect that if this were set up there would more complaints that it wasn't going to where they wanted than there have been that it gets blackholed.

By default, it is quite useful for crontab errors for instance, to come to me rather than a black hole.

You can do that easily. In you home directory create a file called .forward that contains a single line with the email address you want the messages forwarded to.
N/A

cgi server email address

Hi There

That was what I was trying to point out with my post it was deemed that if you give a server with more control and then start setting defaults all over it then you are defeating yourself and it generates more work and calls then if we let you create things yourself.
Community Veteran

cgi server email address

Should this thread not be in the CGI & Scripting forum?