cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cgi and www servers

N/A

cgi and www servers

Hi,

I am trying to set-up a discussion board on my site. The product is called Discus, from Discusware.com.

I have ftp'd the cgi scripts to the cgi server and I can access them ok. I then have to create two directories in my webspace and ftp various directories and files to them, associate file permissions etc. This, I have done and double checked.

So now I go to my page and try to use the Administration function to set the board up, I get an error. The error says that the cgi script cannot access a file in the web space. The rub is, it's there.

Has anyone come across a problem like this before and have they found out what the absolute paths are for the web space so I can refer the cgi scripts to the correct location on the severHuh?

:confused:

Regards

Fraser
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: cgi and www servers

I gorgot how to find out your absaloute path but what I do instead is write a simple php script like this...

<?php

// make sure this file does NOT exist...

include("somepage.php");

?>

save that to your cgi server and run it as long as there is not a page called somepage.php it should return a error message saying failed to include="/" and then the absalout path....

should look like...

/files/homeX/username/

where X = 1, 2, or 3
do say bob wants a file called page1.php in his cgi bin and X = 2...

/files/home2/bob/cgi-bin/page1.php

would be the absaloute path if i remeber correctly....

cheers
Will
N/A

To find out your absaloute path just write a php script that doesn't work for example..

<?php

include("noneexistingpage.php");

?>

and it load the page up in your browser and it will go...

include not found and then tell you the absaloute path to that file so all you got do is remember that and you got it...

heres a clue to what it looks like

/files/homeX/username/

X can be anynumber between 1 and 3 and if the files are in your cgi-bin then it will have the extra bit on the end...

/files/homeX/username/cgi-bin/

hope that helps
N/A

Thanks Will, but I think that will give me the path for the cgi server. I already know that! It the web space path I need.

Thanks again

Fraser

> To find out your absaloute path just write a php script that doesn't work for example..
>
> <?php
>
> include("noneexistingpage.php");
>
> ?>
>
> and it load the page up in your browser and it will go...
>
> include not found and then tell you the absaloute path to that file so all you got do is remember that and you got it...
>
> heres a clue to what it looks like
>
> /files/homeX/username/
>
> X can be anynumber between 1 and 3 and if the files are in your cgi-bin then it will have the extra bit on the end...
>
> /files/homeX/username/cgi-bin/
>
> hope that helps

N/A

> Thanks Will, but I think that will give me the path for the cgi server. I already know that! It the web space path I need.

Evening,

The path for the webserver is /share/isp/plusnet/www/uu/username/htdocs.

However if you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do then it won't work.
You will need to store the non-cgi files on the CGI server too. these should be stored in a directory outside the CGI bin.

e.g. /files/homeX/username/path

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------