cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cancelling con??

N/A

cancelling con??

i am trying to cancell a monthly contract and realise i have to pay deffered activation fee but im also being asked for £25 modem fee!!!!

this should have been free as stated

i dont want to keep the modem, do i still have to pay for it?
16 REPLIES
N/A

cancelling con??

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

This is not a con but simply the enforcement of part of the terms to which you signed up and agreed.

You did click the bolded purple link to the right of the free activation and modem offer?

BT charge PlusNet for the activation and you get the opportunity to deferr this or pay for it up front. The same with the hardware. The customer gets the chance to take a modem under the deferred payment scheme, known as "You stay we pay" or they can chose to take no hardware or pay for it up front..

This is not a con, but another failure of a customer to read what they were actually signing up for. TBH, the print wasnt even that small.
N/A

cancelling con??

Well, plusnet changed the terms of the contract over that time, without his agreement, so..
N/A

cancelling con??

How much is this deffered activation fee you are being charged? I wouldnt mind knowing for obvious reasons Wink

Does anyone know if the fees are the same for Residential and Business packages or do they vary?
N/A

cancelling con??

Well, plusnet changed the terms of the contract over that time

The new T&C's came into play in September 2005, which was prior to the OP's join date.

@phearfactor.

It depends on what you signed up for and when. Different people may have chosen different options. At one point BT charged £58.75 for activation, maybe upto June 2005, then that reduced to £47 during that summer.

The only way to be sure what obligations any of us have is to ask the CSC via help and support. They have each individuals details at their finger tips.

There could be differences in the obligations of a business customer, over a residential customer, but the activation fee should be the same, depending on when they joined.
N/A

cancelling con??

Dissappointed with this comment. Customers should not be blamed if they are not seeing the fact they are signing up for 5 years deferred contract. I also been caught out on the free migration which the deffered payment is buried in the T & C's. It would be clearer if Plusnet place the disclaimer 'subject to x number of years contract', directly under the Free headline. I would be interested to see whether Plusnet have been able to use the same advertising graphics in newspapers were the use of a link to read the T & C's is not an option.

Hi there,

This is not a con, but another failure of a customer to read what they were actually signing up for. TBH, the print wasnt even that small.
N/A

cancelling con??

been able to use the same advertising graphics in newspapers

Could be wrong, but I don't beleive they do advertise in newspapers do they?
N/A

cancelling con??

Nope. The only advertising they do is sponsir the sheffield footy team and online advertising.

Other than this its word of mouth.
N/A

cancelling con??

Other than this its word of mouth.

Will be interesting to know what the takeup from new customers is in the next few months then.
Studio_Two
Grafter

cancelling con??

How much is this deffered activation fee you are being charged? I wouldnt mind knowing for obvious reasons Wink

Does anyone know if the fees are the same for Residential and Business packages or do they vary?

Well, you basically pay this extra amount forever don't you?

My mate signed up a couple of years ago an paid 24.99 per month (as opposed to my 21.99 (I paid for my activation and modem up front).

You would think his monthly payment would return to 21.99 after 12 months (when the fees have been "paid off"). However, PlusNet continued to charge him 24.99 indefinately (until he contacted them and switched packages). Incidentally, they charged him 14.99 for the priviledge of doing this.

Personally, I think that's a little unfair on the part of PlusNet.

Any comments?

TIA
Stephen
N/A

cancelling con??

Hi Stephen.

Thats an entirely different issue.

Your friend was clearly on one of the old legacy products such as Easy Start, which existed before the deffered activation offer.

That is the product he signed up for and what it cost at the time.

From memory, PlusNet had budgeted that the Easy Start accounts would be all square after 3 years.

This is a totally different ball game to the deferred activation "You stay we pay" scheme.

Hope that helps a bit.
Studio_Two
Grafter

cancelling con??

Hi Stephen.

Thats an entirely different issue.

Your friend was clearly on one of the old legacy products such as Easy Start, which existed before the deffered activation offer.

That is the product he signed up for and what it cost at the time.

From memory, PlusNet had budgeted that the Easy Start accounts would be all square after 3 years.

This is a totally different ball game to the deferred activation "You stay we pay" scheme.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hello,

Thanks for the info. Apologies for hi-jacking the thread.

Stephen
N/A

cancellation con??

i have a print out of the screen which states modem included - £0.00

there are no T and C's nearby just a tiny 'more' link and no star or anything nearby.

its not good practice to mislead customers which you have blatantly done. it wont be a problem in the future because i wont be recommended plusnet to anyone!
N/A

cancelling con??

Hi there,

If you look at any of the product pages, those which a new or potential customer sees, you will see the line

Special offer - FREE setup now available - save over £80 Terms apply

That has been like that since the offer became available. The only difference was Terms apply used to say "Find out more".

The information is clearly visible, in no way hidden and not buried in the T&C's

All customers have the choice of paying up front or deferring the activation, the choice is entirely theirs.
N/A

cancelling con??

I have to say that a lot of this boils down to the customer failing to read the full T's and C's before agreeing to a contract.
Whatever the product, if a company (who after all only exists to make money) appears to give you something for free, there almost always has to be a catch.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

screen which states modem included - £0.00

I suspect this is just a copy of an invoice, showing that at the time the invoice was raised there was no requirement to pay any money for hardware.

Perhaps it would be useful to show deferred fees somewhere within the portal, so all customers can easily see how much they have remaining at any given point in time.
Perhaps also a 'price to cancel' figure, taking into account any remaining contractual period and any required notice period, again, to make it clearer to EU's exactly what payments will be required.