cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cancel account

N/A

cancel account

im with force 9 over 1 year try cancel my account they send to me this

As indicated in my earlier reply, the deferred line activation and modem fees of £83.75 need to be paid by you before we cancel your account.
We paid these fees on your behalf, on the understanding that they become payable if you decide to leave or cancel.
The fees reduce after the first year by 20% but the fees remain payable if you cancel.
Please ensure your card payment details are up to date, and then reply, confirming that we can take the fees.

Regards,
link:CSA Removed

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.force9.net/index_nlp.html

so i sing contract for 12 months that mean i have to be with force 5 yers to cancel my account and don pay any fee

[Moderators note: CS Agent's anme removed]
15 REPLIES
N/A

cancel account

It sounds to me like you signed up under the "You Stay, We Pay" defferred activation scheme which means that the cost of your modem etc reduces every year for 5 years and if you leave early, then you need to pay it.
tonymunro
Grafter

cancel account

Paul7710 - I made the same mistake.

It was the extra small 'small print' that you would have missed on signing up.

Any decent company... you know the sort of company F9 used to be... would make quite clear at sign up that you're entering into a five year contract with all the inherent costs that involved.
Marteknet
Grafter

cancel account

If you are leaving because of the appalling level of service and all the problems that are reducing your ability to use the services that Force9 used in there advertising to tempt to sign up in the first place why not point this out to them and ask for a reduction in the outstanding costs, make a point to them that they are not fulfilling their part of the agreement, the reliability of their services is so bad and problems are so frequent that you feel you have to move to another ISP who can provide what you are paying for. Why should you have extra expense due to the fact that Force9 can not provide you with the services you are paying for. You never know it worth a try, they may reduce these fees, but I wouldn't hold you breath if I were you.
N/A

cancel account

I'm in the same boat. The service has gone down the toilet the past few months.

Once again the email system is off line!!

They aren't reducing my leaving fee until after the 21st of July. Which means that I will have to pay yet another £21 to these folk.
N/A

cancel account

Been with f9 since 1998. - That is a little longer than the unanswered ticket which has beenn sitting there since 22nd June.
The service has gone down the pan. Today I activated my migration to ZEN.
Bye bye f9.
N/A

YOU ARE PAYING FOR A SERVICE

And they are not providing the service you paid for.

Speak toTrading Standards -- I will be.
N/A

cancel account

Trading Standards are going to be quite busy, seems to me. Actually, www.direct.gov.uk is handy. Links through to most services, including making small claims, should it come to that.

Also, OFCOM, whilst not offering direct help in disputes, does maintain a database of complaints. Eventually, they may take a hand. See http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/e7even/

Into week 7, no connection yet. No replies from Support.

John
N/A

cancel account

I made an online complaint to advertising standards authority about the 8mg service not being 8mg speed they sent a letter back stating it an up to 8mg so they will not take any action against BT wholesale. I will write back today asking them to ask BT how many customers get 8mg at my exchange
James
Grafter

cancel account

Hi Jill,

At my 2 latest properties, both of these have been set a BRAS rate (that's the BT speed restriction) of 8128kbps.

At neither of them have I ever seen speeds of higher than 4mbps. My my own reckoning, you need to be within 1km of your exchange, and everyone in the town needs to be asleep with their routers and modems disconnected to get 8mbps speeds!
N/A

cancel account

At neither of them have I ever seen speeds of higher than 4mbps. My my own reckoning, you need to be within 1km of your exchange, and everyone in the town needs to be asleep with their routers and modems disconnected to get 8mbps speeds!

I don't think it makes much difference what other people are doing (apart possibly from some in-band coupling from near neighbours).

Aside from line losses there are other factors which limit the maximum rate set by the system.

The biggest issue is that the system tries to settle on the highest safe rate it can achieve. In doing this it seems to take more account than necessary of short-term problems and longer than necessary to retry to recover from them. This is intended to make the line more robust at the expense of less than the maximum throughput. There are ongoing tweaks to the algorithms to improve this 'homeing-in' mechanism but it's proved difficult to have a general approach to the huge variation in line performances across the exchanges. There's a balance between the raw line rate and the achieved data rate after error retries.

To put this in context of course the copper wires were originally the cheapest available solution to low-bandwidth (less than 5 kHz which notionally equates to less than 10 kilo bits of traffic and pulling the >1Mb signals out of the noise is an engineering marvel.
James
Grafter

cancel account

Hi Portmoak,

I was referring to contention, and not the BRAS setting that you are referring to. The BRAS will refer to sync speed, which refers to distance as I outlined in my post above.
N/A

cancel account

Hi Portmoak,

I was referring to contention, and not the BRAS setting that you are referring to. The BRAS will refer to sync speed, which refers to distance as I outlined in my post above.

Yes, I see. Even then though it's quite difficult to decide where the bandwidth restriction is. The actual contention rates in many exchanges is as near 1:1 as makes no difference due to the nature of most peoples' broadband usage. Tough if you're sharing with a high user but still a fairly low probability.

<Edit> After a quick couple of tries I'm getting close to the theoretical downstream rate on my 2Mb line. This is what I usually see so contention isn't apparent.
James
Grafter

cancel account

To be honest, contention is a real issue now.

There's no such thing as a contention ratio now, and as more users get MAx, the problems will increase.
N/A

cancel account

To be honest, contention is a real issue now.

I'm sure that overall that's true but it's not normally a problem at the exchange itself. The kit which I have handled has more capacity than the exchange lines can handle even if it were the case (it's far from it though) that users were really thrashing their connections. You do get bursts of course.

There are lots of other more severe bottlenecks. You will already be aware of the ones at PN but every node and switch in the system contributes a bit.