cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband connection slowed to sub 56k connection speeds

N/A

This topic might already be out there - so my apologies and please point me to the relevant thread.

My broadband connection which is supposed to be 8mb max has become very very slow over the last couple of days. I haven't changed a thing on my machine or connection. Trying to get through to customer support is next to impossible on the phone (in excess of one hour wait) and I have 3 questions up in the "ask a question" customer support web area and no answers - they have been up for two days. Is anyone else experience this slow connection and any advice as to what I should do next? Thanks.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Welcome to MaxDSL Hell. Sad

Well it could be any number of things.

What PN account are you on ... PAYG, BB+ or Premier 1/2/3?

Have you had recent warning emails from PN about how much you download?

Do you use a router or USB modem? What does your router/modem tell you about your ADSL line speed and noise margins?

What is the number displayed here?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Many thanks for your reply

PN AccountTonguelusNet Broadband Pay As You Go with included 2GB bandwidth

I get the odd email notification when I go over the 2GB limit - just to say an extra 2GB has been added on to the monthly bill - no probs.

I use a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router. One machine I have is connected via ethernet cable, the laptop I have is wireless - both experiencing the same very very slow broadband.

The number displayed on your link is 8000 kbps.

I'll post the requested info on what the router/modem says asap.

Thanks for your help.
Community Veteran

OK, knowing you are on PAYG makes somethings less likely to be factors.

What about your router status? Also, run the speedtest @ http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ if you would.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

Hello - find below the info you asked for:

Broadbandmax.co.uk test:

Download speed: 30kbps
Upload speed: 493kbps

Netgear router/modem status - ADSL line speed and noise margins

Connection Speed
Downstream: 7342kbps Upstream: 663kbps
Line Attenuation
Downstream: 38db Upstream: 10db
Noise Margin
Downstream: 2147483646db Upstream: 12db
Community Veteran

From this, it looks like PN have put you onto a Tiscali LLU line. It is the upstream speed being above 448 that makes me think this as you are on the residential rather than business PAYG account.

Send them a ticket and ask them to confirm you are on LLU, then at least you will know whether to look at the posts in the forums related to problems on MaxDSL or LLU.

What version of firmware do you have in your router? Is it the latest?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

Your D/S Noise Margin looks way wrong.I am using the same router as yours and occassionaly mine shows this same figure so I reboot it and it drops down to 10db. Your atten is better than my 62db and I am d/l at 130kbps- still bloody slow and still waiting forCS to get BT involved.
N/A

For what little it's worth, I had a similar problem with sub-dialup speeds a while back, and it turned out that my three month old 3Com router was fried. Cry I could've solved it a lot quicker had CS not taken a week to reply to the ticket I raised.
N/A

Hello - Just to say I tried the suggestion that wolverene made and it sorted the problem out. I had actually restarted the modem/router a few weeks previously so thought that it would be ok - My fault/lack of technical knowledge I think - should have restarted it again.

Thanks very much to wolverene and also godsell4 and tinyhomecentral. I really appreciate the time you've taken to answer my query and sort out the problem.

PN still haven't replied to my emailed questions which are 5 days old now. Never could get through to customer support on the phone - really useless. Sticking up an overly complicated on-line "help assistant" while making it near impossible to get through on the phone just smells of cost cutting - not value for money.

Thanks again.