Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bounces for messages sent from xxy@mydomain.com

PhyllisTyne
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I am getting a lot of these lately from mail servers saying they can't deliver a message from xyz@mydomain.com that I haven't sent. i presume it is because spammer are somehow using my domain to send spam. Is this the case and can i do anything about it?

TIA

Jon
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

assuming your domain is hosted by PN then you can send details to abuse@plus.net and they can try to do something but unfortunatly its very difficult to stop.
MrToast
Grafter

Re: bounces for messages sent from xxy@mydomain.com

i presume it is because spammer are somehow using my domain to send spam. Is this the case and can i do anything about it?

TIA

Jon

Yes, I'm getting thm too. There is nothing to stop someone forging the FROM address on an email. THat means that there is nothing you or PN can do to stop it.

In the longer term systems can be introduce a method to veryfy the authenticity of the senders domain. One such is SPF. See www.openspf.org. This would require global cooperation to adopt a new standard.
N/A

There's quite a long discussion on this subject here.

It's bugging many users just now. I'd suggest that, rather than swamping abuse@plus.net with complaints about this, if you can read the headers from the "original" messages (not the bounce e-mail) you might see the domain name of the ISP who first accepted the message. Then e-mail a copy of the header as plain text to abuse@their.name - possibly more effective than telling PN, who're already well aware of the problem.