cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bb+ and premier throttle/load monitor

N/A

Hi all,

Ok I have a suggestion now. This was inspired by someone else on a completely different thread however I do believe that this idea would help PN as much as its cutomers.

Would it be possible for PN to code and implent a monitoring system for protocols and services that are being throttled, by what % and what the current load is (green, amber or red and or even %)

for example

..................................HTTP............HTTPS.............P2P..........USENET.........etc
BB+..-..Load.............50%................4%................97.5%...........87%.....
BB+..-..Throttle..........3%.................3%.................98%.............98%....
Premier Load...........70%...............12%..............98.3%...........97.6%...
Premier Throttle.......10%..............10%.................5%...............5%.......

I know this is a very basic outlook, but surely this will help us all in the sense that we as customers will know whether our speeds are poor due to the throttling level and also load or if it is indeed a connection issue.
It would help PN customer support in the sense that it would probably help cut the number of phone calls to them asking about speed issues only to find its the load.

Personally I see this as being a definate improvement and of great use by the whole of the PN customer base.

Just my 2 cents but hey let me know what you think to this idea nd dont forget to vote in the poll Smiley
5 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml

That shows load. Throttling would come into effect which load reaches near the max.
N/A

Hello Martin,

Sorry, I suppose I asked for that one. What I meant was is there any chance PN could create a realtime monitoring system which once the page has been called and the page calls the script loads the stats at particular moment in time.
Reason for this being is although that graph does display pretty much what is suggested, it is still unclear due to the size (6 - 7 days being displayed in such a short amount of space).
Neither does it show us the exact load that is in play and so makes it a little misty when it comes to questions such as "Is there a high load at the moment?".
Community Veteran

You've just walked into another one - his name's Liam ;-)

I think it would be a good idea but surely more detailed graphs would be better still?
N/A

Hey Daniel,

<g> see what happens when you try and post replies on a forum when your half asleep lol.

Sorry I will correct myself Liam*.

A more detailed graph would certainly also do. The point being that as apposed to create a graph for the entire week how about the day in question and real time?
More to the point have it in the user account panel as with the likes of usage and speed test which will reflect that customers package, such as premier, business bb+ and so forth.
N/A

http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml
That shows load. ... Throttling would come into effect ...

It might show for you (but see blank graphs (1) and it is far from clear how the current load is made up (what proportion is peer-to-peer, what is Usenet, and what is web browsing, while Dave Tomlinson posted a while back that each one has specific limits for traffic (but those limits are not public, at least, as far as I know) Reporting them as current load percentages would at least show how much of whatever is being transferred is fitting into the different categories of traffic.

I'd like to see it showing that detail separately for both in and out traffic, but I would expect it to be updated only once every 10 or 15 minutes as there's no real need for an instant-by-instant report. If someone wants to to be able to graph the load trends over a day, then the numbers could be saved into a CSV file by Plus.Net and 'yesterday's file' would be available for download for the 24 hours between updates... so one could download the file and rename it to record each day's information.

(1) Yes, it is a bug or quirk but only affecting graphics from Plus.Net (I'm using Mozilla - and someone else posted in p.s.customer-feedback that she also sees no images, so not just mine!) - but of course it also affects the (non-) display of all buttons on the portal - fortunately many of them have "alt=" text so I can find those buttons again, and at least on the forum the "preview" and "submit" are real buttons (scroll down and you'll see what I see, rather than what you see for the Forum), while on the Portal "my account" pages I sometimes use ctrl-A just to see where the graphics are, since no "alt=" comes up and the links are not all in clear English anyway...