cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bandwidth usage fault - anyone else

N/A

I have been having usage added to my account which is not mine to the point that I am in danger of tripping the management threshold.

As the latest experiment I left the modem (cable not wireless) connected but switched the computer off. When I just logged back on after 12 hours I found an additonal 35MB of peak usage and 48MB off peak. This is much smaller that the GBs already added by someone else, but seems to indicate that the problem is not someone hacking my account but at PN's end? (Downloading has stopped about 5-6 hours before, so I doubt that the usage monitor was catching up.).

Anyone else got similar data?

Raised a ticket a few days ago but still waiting for a response despite the 11 hours average response. How do you get their attention?
22 REPLIES
N/A

A number of people have reported VMU problems recently, myself included.

In my case it seems to be 4Gb that I transferred in off-peak time that was counted as peak-time transfer. Oddly enough, the older usage meter (still available via https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/viewmy_broadband_monthly.html) agrees with the stats I have from this end.

11 hours? I still haven't had a proper response to my ticket after 11 days. I requested my MAC this afternoon as that is the final straw (I've been threatening to go for a while now). Oddly enough the MAC came through very quickly - they must want rid of the likes of me Smiley
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Old VMBU: peak: 8.42Gb Total: 46.56Gb
New VMBU: peak: 9.49Gb Total: 56.76Gb

What the.....?
Firejack
Grafter

I gave up on the VMBU nonsense months ago. Not seen it right once yet. Quite often it will show me having made Broadband Calls or Usenet. Neither of which I ever use. Fortunately I'm on Premier so I can just ignore my usage without it costing me any money.
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

I did an experiment last night. I stayed up till midnight :shock: and restarted uTorrent.

At 9:30 this morning I checked and it has downloaded and Uploaded 2.50Gb (1.4 down & 1.1 up). This was the only programme running on my pc all night.

I checked the new VMBU this morning and it says 3.22Gb (Remember that it's *up to* 2 hours behind, so this figure will be more)

Anyone from plusnet care to tell me why you're saying I'm using 700Mb more than I've actually used?

I'm going to do the same at peak time today (Mind you, with the speed of peak time these days I could probably sit and count the Mb's myself Evil )

EDIT 11:05 : I just checked the *old* VMBU and it lists my usage as................2.52Gb ?
BoneMan
Grafter

You're all correct IMHO. I reckon there is problem too, but PlusNet won't acknowledge it :x . Part of a reply to a ticket:

Due to relatively recent changes in the VMBU system(s), we believe the old system to be much more inaccurate than the new system. The old system is liable to data loss which is why we do not use it any more. It all depends on when the interim packets come in and the time of day.

The new VMBU system is much more likely to be correct. We are unaware of any current issues with the new vmbu system and will continue to montor it.

Fortunately (as others have said) as a Premier user it is not currently impacting on my use of the system so I can just ignore it Wink . But if I were to get close to the limits ...

Regards,

Ray.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Anyone from plusnet care to tell me why you're saying I'm using 700Mb more than I've actually used?

It's quite easy to explain, the uTorrent figure of 2.5GB is the size of the actual files that you've uploaded and downloaded (or rather the total of packets), but with something like uTorrent it uses encryption. So you have the normal overheads of transferring files via BitTorrent (connecting to the peers, updating the tracker, etc.) and on top of that the overheads for encrypting the data.

Add to that figure wasted data from hash fails, DNS lookups, ATM and overheads and background noise, it all adds up.

I've seen reports from people using uTorrent of 10-30% overheads which can easily account for the amount you've seen.
N/A

Three days and finally an answer that the usage monitor info can lag by 1 hour and should monitor my own usage.

Brilliant - when I say I have >700MB in my new month and havenot logged on 2 - 3 days anbd have extra usage after 5 - 6 hours with pc turned off but modem on. Also as a matter of detail 2MB of email (etc) when I have not even accessed email.

I am in danger of being managed for bandwidth I have not used. Can someone actually do something. If it is usage on my account then I would like to know, because it is _nothing_ to do with me so someone must be hacking my non-wireless connection.

This so, so very frustrating.
N/A

Add to that figure wasted data from hash fails, DNS lookups, ATM and overheads and background noise, it all adds up.

I wonder whether the answer is buried deep within that sentence.

Could it perhaps be that the old VMBU was counting data only, whereas the new one is counting TCP/IP packet overhead, and perhaps, even more controversially, ATM overhead?

Would be good to get a confirmation on this.

Of course if it is true, Plusnet have in effect dropped everyone's bandwidth allowance on the sly!
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

I've seen reports from people using uTorrent of 10-30% overheads which can easily account for the amount you've seen.

So if I were to use something like Bandwidth monitor, then that would give me a more accurate picture of what i'm downloading (oe should I say transfering)?

thanks for the reply (The BOLD wasn't me shouting btw, just trying to catch someones eye...)

Dave
N/A

I wonder whether the answer is buried deep within that sentence.

Could it perhaps be that the old VMBU was counting data only, whereas the new one is counting TCP/IP packet overhead, and perhaps, even more controversially, ATM overhead?

Would be good to get a confirmation on this.

Of course if it is true, Plusnet have in effect dropped everyone's bandwidth allowance on the sly!

I would like to know how it explains 700MB when the modem and pc are off.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It needs to be remembered that everything that goes up or down your line is counted. So, for example, if I were to ping your connection using the -l option to set a large buffer size, I could add a lot to your usage - even if your router/modem is configured not to respond to pings.

The only time this doesn't happen is when you are totally disconnected from the internet and the PN systems have recognised this and so don't attempt to send you data. Whether there is a problem around this area which means packets are being sent out via the Plusnet centrals and only being dropped at your exchange and hence are still being counted by PN I haven't a clue, but I would be surprised if this was the case.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If you aren't online then VMBU shouldn't count any data, however if the router is connected then there will be usage counted even if no PC is connected. Anything that tries to remotely access or ping your router, such as virus scans and probes, L8NC, rogue P2P traffic, port scans, etc. will show up as usage. And it can show up as any type of traffic, so even if you don't use P2P or Broadband Phonecalls a small amount can easily show up.

Old VMBU would count all data that is transferred across your line as measured by BT so would include the ATM overhead, new VMBU measures the data using Ellacoya so doesn't include the ATM overhead.
N/A

What the.....?

Indeed...

This weeks usage:
Old: 3.7GB
New: 12.4GB

Previous months Old/New:
Aug - Sep: 7.54GB / 10.45GB
Sep - Oct: 20.29GB / 39.61GB
Oct - Nov: 14.85GB / 45.15GB

Anyone wanna explain that differenceHuh

And the new tool thinks I've used nearly 10GB of P2P traffic, when the programs internal monitor (including overheads) estimates nearer the 6GB mark.

But, since nothing on PlusNet works like it should....

Anyways, since I'm well within my 30GB a month of peak use (13GB before throttling comes into play?) I'll stick with my usage patterns and not worry just yet...

Oh and as I was posting:
Old VMBU would count all data that is transferred across your line as measured by BT so would include the ATM overhead, new VMBU measures the data using Ellacoya so doesn't include the ATM overhead.

So if the old VMBU tool counted everything...and the new one is more 'accurate' suggested by it not including the ATM overhead...why is it showing much higher usage for everyone?!

Suggests that Ellaconya is doing nothing right, unless its Plusnets intention to overstate usage and throttle everything down to dial-up levels...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Anyone wanna explain that differenceHuh

The old VMBU shouldn't actually be accessible any more, the data that appears in the old VMBU tool will be wrong because in order to fix a problem on PAYG accounts where usage from the free usage was showing as paid usage (and vice versa) some usage is now discarded and not recorded within the tool.