cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bandwidth limits?

N/A

bandwidth limits?

I've just been advised I was over my bandwidth limit by quite a bit for 3 days.
Can anyone confirm if the bandwidth includes files I've uploaded via ftp or not.
If it does, then I can understand it as I was uploading new photos, if it doesn't then I've got a massive problem because the site's got too popular.

So, any suggestions for a good hosting company I can use which allows for a much higher daily limit?
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

bandwidth limits?

Have you tried reducing the size of the photo images (in bytes and physical size on screen) so less data is served. What file formats are you using - gif, jpeg, Huh You could also zip the photos up and transfer them in a block to reduce transfer sizes.

[incorrect info removed]
lhorwath
Grafter

bandwidth limits?

Hi there,

Bandwidth is exclusive of FTP. It is only visits to the site that count.

You could also try restricting the folders with htaccess until it dies down a bit. If you do want to keep the site in its popular state, a business account has twice as much space and bandwidth. Over 500Mb and you will need to look for an alternative host for the site.

regards

Luke
N/A

bandwidth limits?

Thanks Peter, the photos are no more than 600pix and compressed as much as I'm happy with, most are 40Kb. We are a photographic site so don't want to end up with postage stamp sized pixelated dross. It's just that we have become rather popular.
I'll spend some time later today looking at the stats and try and work out if I would still be over without any uploads. I feel that zipping wouldn't save enough BW with jpegs. Looks like I may have to did deep into the wallet one way or another :-(
N/A

bandwidth limits?

Thanks Luke, that's even more worrying then. The email from "abuse" indicates I am three times over, obviously a business account won't help :-(
I think the problem with me not noticing is that in the good old days before I moved my domain to PlusNet, my webstats page only had one entry - for the home pages server. Now I have four entries and it looked so confusing I didn't really bother looking anymore, that's why I got a shock today.
Can you explain in simple terms Luke, since my domain points to the cgi server why the last two "www" & two "cgi" stats aren't the same as each other?And can you confirm if the limit the SUM of the www & cgi bandwidths and which ones below?
www.feelthenoise.plus.com
cgi.feelthenoise.plus.com
www.feel-the-noise.com
cgi.feel-the-noise.com
I'm getting ver confused, my visitor base has only shown a slight rise but for three days running the KB is about 10 times what it has been before. Strange Luke :shock:
lhorwath
Grafter

bandwidth limits?

Hi there,

The total is for you webspace (& CGI) as a whole, so if you had 3 domains you would still have the same space as you have now. The different stats are due to the actual page someone hits, so if I go to cgi.feelthenoise.plus.com and not to the URL that redirects to the CGI space, then it will be a different "hit".

From looking at your site, the "top ten pages" are all video clips which will take up more bandwidth then just a jpeg (sorry I added to your bandwidth).

regards

Luke
N/A

bandwidth limits?

I've sent you a PM Luke, to save any embarassment if I've made a stupid mistake Shockedops:
N/A

bandwidth limits?

I may now know what's caused this but don't understand why it's happening, maybe someone can explain it.
Firstly, the massive increase in BW happend just a few days ago, my own site logs show no real increase in the number of photos being looked at and this level is well below my PlusNet limit, about a tenth.
My website has loads of video clips available but these have always been hosted elsewhere and just viewed inside one of my pages. They never added to my PlusNet stats.
Now here's the interesting bit...
The day before my massive increase in bandwidth, the friend who hosts my video clips moved them to another server with his ISP.
From that point on, it looks like when you open my PlusNet hosted page, the video file, instead of going straing to my customer's browser from my friend's server, somehow makes a detour via PlusNet and adds to my bandwidth.
Is this possible? it never happened before, with his old server.
All help appreciated, I don't want to have my site removed!
lhorwath
Grafter

bandwidth limits?

Hi there,

This is exactly what I've advised you of in the PM, I've replied to. You need to change your script so it links to the video file, rather than embedding it.

regards

Luke
csogilvie
Grafter

bandwidth limits?

Maybe I'm missing something - but if you've embeded something from an external URL, why should it affect the PlusNet bandwidth, as its presumably downloading from the remote webserver?
N/A

bandwidth limits?

Thanks Luke, it's all clear now.
Your PM came in after I posted on here.
So for anyone else following this, I had been embedding the videos in my page when I should have been linking to it. All I've got to do is work out how to do that and Bob's your uncle.

So Luke, don't bank on looking at it tonight, it may be off line :-)

Lastly Luke, do you think I should raise a ticket to let them know, as tomorrow's statistics will be just as bad?
I certainly don't want my site removed!
csogilvie
Grafter

bandwidth limits?

Just use <a href="url"> instead of <embed>
lhorwath
Grafter

bandwidth limits?

Hi there,

I would raise a ticket, there is a direct path for WOB.

• Technical Support (Except Connection problems - See below)
• Webspace, FTP, HTML and Frontpage
• I have had my website disabled due to excessive bandwidth usage

Just confirm you are trying to resolve it and that it will be fixed within 48 hours.

regards

Luke
Ianwild
Grafter

bandwidth limits?

Maybe I'm missing something - but if you've embeded something from an external URL, why should it affect the PlusNet bandwidth, as its presumably downloading from the remote webserver?

I would have thought that too. I think this warrants some further investigation on our part as it should not be the case...

Regards,

Ian
N/A

bandwidth limits?

I would have thought that too. I think this warrants some further investigation on our part as it should not be the case...

Regards,

Ian

Can you do that for me Ian, my Ticket ID is: 11701066
I've lost so much time today sorting this out to say nothing of the worry.
The page that does the embedding has not changed, only the location of the server where the files reside. Until this week, the files lived on a friend's home server behind an ADSL link, but this proved to be too slow. Now the files are located on a server hosted by Demon. I only changed the part of the script that points to the server, the embedding part has not been touched. However, the massive jump in BW started at the same time, so it must be connected.