cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bandwidth/download scheduler

N/A

anyone know of an app to schedule when to open up bandwidth at certain times (let's say 1-8am!) and throttle it otherwise?
25 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Hi there,

If you're running XP then you should be able to use Windows scheduler or the scheduled tasks control panel.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

channel
Grafter

Would the Tutorial Team maybe consider doing a Tutorial on ways to max out bandwidth during the off peak period?

I'm not a user of Usenet at the moment, but I'd be keen to see what I'm missing out on.
N/A

Would the Tutorial Team maybe consider doing a Tutorial on ways to max out bandwidth during the off peak period?

Channel, what did you have in mind? since you didn't mention whether that would be P2P etc,
N/A

Netlimiter http://www.netlimiter.com/ is quite good. It's a comercial app but allows you to limit each running process, monitor your bandwidth and does scheduling as well. There's a free trial so u can see if it matches your needs.
channel
Grafter

To be honest I'm not quite sure what the possibilities are! I've always marvelled at some of the usage that some people manage to achieve. I can't figure out how I would ever use 30Gb, to be honest.

I suspect that a lot of people doing Usenet downloads would want to do them overnight, though, because irrespective of the Usenet FUP they might not want to download Usenet during the peak hours (because of the broader FUP) - so maybe something on how to schedule Usenet downloads overnight?

Also, I gather that the Windows XP scheduler is not the easiest thing to set up, so maybe something on that and what the possibilities are?

As I say, I am possibly not best placed to know, because I have never used Usenet to successfully download and then make use of multipart messages; even when I've downloaded them, I have trouble joining the bits up and have always given up pretty quickly. I'd be interested in doing it, though, especially if I could just leave it to run automatically overnight, because so many people seem to rave about the possibilities, I suspect I must be missing out on something.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

I have never used Usenet to successfully download and then make use of multipart messages; even when I've downloaded them, I have trouble joining the bits up and have always given up pretty quickly. I'd be interested in doing it, though

When I was new to downloading binaries, I found this site to be a pretty good intro. It documents the steps for a number of popular news clients too.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

N/A

anyone have any other ideas? i'm sure this is something that lots of use would like to have!
N/A

Hi there,

If you're running XP then you should be able to use Windows scheduler or the scheduled tasks control panel.

Regards,

Care to ellaborate?
N/A

what about netlimiter ?
N/A

http://www.downloadaccelerator.com/DAP7/FinishInstall.asp?V=7.4.0.1

Apparently it no longer has spyware, I' m testing it out now.. it seems pretty good.
N/A

download accelerator is pretty good, but i'm thinking of a tool to throttle actual bandwidth as opposed to downloading from the internet

giving netlimiter a try, will post how it goes! :twisted:
N/A

GetRight is a good one to try.
N/A

download mage is simple and easy to use

DLMage