cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bandwidth & Streaming

N/A

bandwidth & Streaming

I'm currently experiencing a bandwidth problem due to increased popularity of my site. I've got a number of mixes in real player @ 20mb a pop which can be streamed so users can sample the mix b4 downloading the full mp3 mix from my home server. I've now started to move from real player to a low qulaity mp3 @ about 20mb ago.
Does a real player stream absorb more bandwidth than a strait low quality mp3 download of the same size?

mark
2 REPLIES
benoh
Grafter

RE: bandwidth & Streaming

> I'm currently experiencing a bandwidth problem due to increased popularity of my site. I've got a number of mixes in real player @ 20mb a pop which can be streamed so users can sample the mix b4 downloading the full mp3 mix from my home server. I've now started to move from real player to a low qulaity mp3 @ about 20mb ago.
> Does a real player stream absorb more bandwidth than a strait low quality mp3 download of the same size?
>
> mark

Hi,
20mb is 20mb, it doesnt matter which format it is in...that is unless RealPlayer does some sort of compression but Im fairly sure it doesnt.

Ben O'Hara
Systems Engineer
Plusnet Technologies Ltd.
N/A

RE: bandwidth & Streaming

As a further note how long is your sample? a 20mb MP3 seems huge to me! I have lots of them at 160kbps and high quality (according to audio grabber) and they are mostly under 6Mb for a track! 20 is huge!

> I'm currently experiencing a bandwidth problem due to increased popularity of my site. I've got a number of mixes in real player @ 20mb a pop which can be streamed so users can sample the mix b4 downloading the full mp3 mix from my home server. I've now started to move from real player to a low qulaity mp3 @ about 20mb ago.
> Does a real player stream absorb more bandwidth than a strait low quality mp3 download of the same size?
>
> mark

--
Turtel
http://www.turtels.cjb.net