Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

badwidth monitoring

Eserim
Rising Star

badwidth monitoring

H

With all this talk of caps and stuff I have been looking at my usage.

Now, considering I only use the PC briefly in the morning and for an hour or so in the evenening, and my wife a hour or so during the dy, for browsing and email, I'm concerned that my usage is up to 50 Mb a day.

Of course I've checked for Spyware and stuff, PC is newly re-built fully virus protected and firewalled, both with a incoming hardware one on my router and up till today Windows XP default software - today I upgraded to ZoneAlarm as I want to have better control.

But what I need is a tool I can run to tell me which ap is using the bandwidth, if it turns out to be Firefox, then fairs enough, I obviously browse more than I thought, but want to see the figures.

Is there anything anyone can reconmend?

Cheers

Chris
15 REPLIES
willhome
Grafter

badwidth monitoring

yeh program called netlimiter. it montiors and can also limit/stop upload download from some programs if iwshed you can download a 30day trial which should show whats happening
Eserim
Rising Star

badwidth monitoring

looks just the thing. Thanks

Chris
Eserim
Rising Star

badwidth monitoring

Ok, so Netlimiter is showing a total download of 14.2 MB and about 2 MB upload for today.

PlusNet is saying 25 MB for today, so that's about 10 mb adrift somewhere.

Anyone any obviousl explanations before I raise a call?

Chris
N/A

badwidth monitoring

Are you wireless?

Because my neighbour is and they haven't secured it which allows people to connect and use it?

I'm sure if you are wireless you have it secured
Eserim
Rising Star

badwidth monitoring

wireless and secured - OK not using WEP, but limiting allowed devices by MAC.

I seriously doubt that my elderly neighbours have the skills to monitor my traffic for the once a day plain broadcast of my MAC.

But it was my initial thought I must admit. But the only two devices conected to the router are my PC (wireless) and my Squeezebox (wired)

Chris

PS Netlimiter do a "lite freeware version that just monitors. Very good.
Eserim
Rising Star

badwidth monitoring

but just in case now using 64 bit WEP- which of course if anyone was clever enough to crack my MAC then they can get around.

Only took it off as an old 98 laptop had loads of problems, but that has now been "retired"

Chris
N/A

badwidth monitoring

you get general background traffic that wont be monitor. Most of it is just rubbish but it can count up. the counter isnt 100% accurate. but its a near enuf guide.

50mb a day is nothing to worry about. 1.5GB a month on average.

BBPremier average is 11GB. BB+ is set to sustain around 5GB. not sure on the average. SO nothing to worry about.
Eserim
Rising Star

badwidth monitoring

nothing fo ME to be worried about bout with a 40% overhead from what I can account for and what +net say I use I am worried for others.

10 MB is a lot of random Pings and stuff.

I am questioning the accuracy of +nets monitoring, which for others is crucial.

Plus I haven't yet ventured much into video chat and streaming radio/TV.

I think I will raise a ticket anyway

Chris
N/A

badwidth monitoring

Hi

I have just checked my usage and for some reason it seems I used 146.35MB yesterday, Monday the 23. I have noticed, in the service status, there's a post explaining the problems with the View My Broadband Usage page not loading.

I'm fairly sure I didn't use that amount of bandwidth yesterday; I have never used that amount on any one day in any billing month.

Would you check that it was actually used and that it wasn't down to some error when the page was offline please?

If, for some unknown reason, I did use that amount, would I be able to buy an extra GB; one-off, until the end of this billing month; unfortunately there's only 3 days left and I'll have to go like the clappers to use that up! Would this extra GB change my account - PAYG with two GB, one included and one extra pre-paid - so that I'll end up with three GB's next month or will it revert back to my normal account?

Can anybody suggest a good site that will gobble up my one GB? Wink

Chris, I'm sorry if it looks like I'm hi-jacking your thread. I thought it might be relevant to your inquirer's.

Thank you.
JonathanW
Grafter

badwidth monitoring

VMBU is really just a guideline, all be it a generally quite accurate one. When it comes to billing, the data from our backend servers is used, rather than the data displayed via VMBU, so things should be okay. But if you still want to check your usage rais ed a ticket so that someone can double check for you.

If you do go over your included bandwidth, the system will automaticallty add an extra gigabye to the account for you, on a one off basis and just charge £1.25 for it on your next invoice, and won't change the ammount you have every month.
N/A

badwidth monitoring

If you do go over your included bandwidth, the system will automaticallty add an extra gigabye to the account for you, on a one off basis and just charge £1.25 for it on your next invoice, and won't change the ammount you have every month.

I've set my data transfer watch to £15.99, I noticed that the last time I reached this limit I was given the option to buy another GB. I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to buy another one up-front before I reached that limit, hence the question. Thanks for the confirmation Jon.
JonathanW
Grafter

badwidth monitoring

You can still buy another gig up front, but this would change the ammount you have included every month, rather than just being a one off addition to your account. As you can only change the ammount of included bandwidth one every thirty days.
Eserim
Rising Star

badwidth monitoring

for info, just placed a call with these figures for the last week

The figures are for this week (Mon-Sat) (PlusNet);
49.19MB 26.03MB 39.8MB 14.94MB 35.73MB 27.2MB

Netlimiter reports;

33.4, 18.3, 30.1, 10.3, 27.7, 19.7

Chris
N/A

badwidth monitoring

Well that seems about right, I know that even if none of the pc's in my house are on, the router still racks up a fair amount as it communicates to get DNS and stuff, I really wouldn't be worried about that low a value, its really just average traffic. Also netlimiter only monitors your pc, not your router if I remember correctly.