cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

average P2P speed slower on BBYW

dennisb66
Grafter

Having recently transfered to BBYW2 I have tested my P2P d/load speeds OFFPEAK.
Results.
4.9GB torrent download averaged 70KB/s.
645MB torrent download averaged 26KB/s
Each torrent had over 50 seeds.These speeds are lower than when I was on BBplus,I used to average over 100KB/s after midnight.
PLUSNET SPEEDTEST

Your current speed is:

974.50kbps

Which means you can download at 121.81 KB/sec. from our servers. Our results show that your current speed is below the level we would expect for your product, you may be able to increase the speed of your connection by adjusting your settings.

53.3 kbps 56k Dial Up
64 kbps ISDN 1 Channel
128 kbps ISDN Dual Channel
460 kbps ADSL 500
920 kbps ADSL 1000
974.5 kbps YOU

I have done a tweek exercise on DSLREPORTS.COM and adjusted as follows..
RWIN from 116800 to 117920
MTU from 1430 to 1500
above is the slightly better result.
My connection setting states that i am on a line speed of 1000 Kbps,I am sure this was higher in the old days when I was on Premier account.
I don't know if any of these figures are any good to (maybe I'm expecting too much) :lol: One last point, my extension and filters are connected correctly. Wink
26 REPLIES
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Try Kitz's excellent tool to compare your old product with BBYW.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/plusnet_shaping2.htm
dennisb66
Grafter

Cheers Nick,yes I have done this comparison so really my P2P speed should not have dropped.I should have made clear that the above 2 d/loads were done separately and not at the same time.
I think I am more concerned with my line speed of 1000Kbps,I used to be on up to 2MB with an actual line speed of 1.3 to 1.5MB,it dropped when I downgraded from Premier to BBPLUS,I expected it to increase when I upgraded to BBYW optin2. Cry
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at your line speed history from BT the speed has been fluctuating between about 1Mbps and 1.5Mbps for the last 9 months or so. Can you post your line stats? This page shows you how to get them on most routers/modems:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

I'd also suggest taking a look at this:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything there helps, any incorrect wiring or filters could easily cause a lower speed.
dennisb66
Grafter

Hi Dave, unfortunately my wireless router is not listed on the Kitz line stats.I have a cable & wireless ADSLR10CW3 router.
I have already checked my wiring against the tutorials and everything appears ok.
I have earlier today tried the d/load speed from my neighbours home ,it recorded the highest ever at 1570Kbps on his PC. Shockedops: however he has had his main telephone wire re-routed to his PC,therefore no extension.He his lucky as he has a junction box where the cable enters his house.So please ignore the 1570 figure on my stats.
dennisb66
Grafter

PS. is there any other way I can get my line stats :?:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'll see if I can get them from a woosh test.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The result shows a downstream loop loss of 56dB and an SNR of 12dB. Current downstream sync rate is 1856kbps.

The loop loss is very high, it probably means that the line length is about 5km. It's just inside the old limit for a fixed rate 1Mbps service (less than 60dB) but significantly higher than the old 2Mbps limit (less than 43dB).

The SNR is quite high at 12dB (the default on Max is 6dB), which probably means that the line has been unstable at some point so BT's automated systems have increased the target SNR on the line to improve the stability but doing so will have decreased the speed a little which probably fits in with your recollection of a higher speed. It's like that it was higher than something caused the connection to drop.

Your line sync speed isn't far off 2272kbps which is what it would need to increase to for the throughput to go up to 2Mbps. An extension cable could easily be enough to make that difference (hence why your neighbour has a faster speed), it's certainly worth trying at the master socket without the extension and see if the line sync's any higher (you won't immediately notice any higher throughput because of how Max works, that would take 3-5 days).
dennisb66
Grafter

Thanks for your help Dave,unfortunatly I cannot fit my router directly to the BT master socket as its in an awkward position under the stairs. Cry
This confuses me a little...

(you won't immediately notice any higher throughput because of how Max works, that would take 3-5 days)

Are you refering to dslmax.I'm sure my line isn't maxed.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That's a shame because I'd suspect the extension is causing at least a small reduction in the sync rate. The line though is on Max, I can probably find out roughly when it was done, but it was at least 9 months ago. On a fixed rate speed BT would only allow 1Mbps because of the attenuation figure.
dennisb66
Grafter

Well we learn something everyday,there i was toying with the idea of applying to be Maxed and now discover I've been on it for months. Shockedops: :shock:
Anyway Dave many thanks for your help,it looks like I shall have to start talking to some BT engineers,or settle for life as it is.It's not exactly a hardship is it. Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Maybe if you can borrow/try a different lead to connect to the socket it may help. Sometimes a slightly dodgy extension cable (bitten by the cat, trapped in the door) can be enough to cause a lower sync rate.
dennisb66
Grafter

Yep thats worth a try Dave,I have just had a thought ,if I connected my w/less router under the stairs to the BT master socket direct and then to my LAPTOP,would that give me a truer speed reading. :?:
Mand
Grafter

Yep, that should be enough to see whether it's the internal wiring that's contributing to the poor speeds.

You will only see a difference in the sync speed initially, due to the way Max works.
chrisc
Grafter

By connecting the router to the master socket and then connecting your laptop via cable to the router then you will rule out any problems with the wireless capability of your router/laptop and also any problems caused by your internal wiring setup.

If your sync speed increases and remains higher for 3 days then your throughput will increase accordingly.