arrrgghh

I don't know why does your line keep losing sync? :razz:

More seriously work through http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10
N/A

arrrgghh

Come on, someone from Plusnet can surely tell me,
Community Veteran

arrrgghh

Thye'll tell you to do those diag tests.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

arrrgghh

Hi,

There are a number of reasons for loss of sync, it's impossible to say without knowing all the facts. Have a read through the tutorial Daniel posted and also this one

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

and see if anything helps.

If not raise a ticket, there's a specific path for intermittant connections, answer the 16 questions and we'll run some remote testing for you.
N/A

arrrgghh

Situation is still the same, how do i raise a ticket? :?
N/A

Loss of Sync or Dropped Connections on BB Ivan

Hello leeson6756,

Im NOT saying in this instance that this IS the exact cause of your problem. But one very common problem on broadband connections is that excess line noise can cause the line to either drop or loss sync. The line noise can & does vary alot from hour to hour and from one part of the day to another. Excess line noise can be just enough to trip the connection over a critical level hence the loss of sync or dropped connection/s. Usually a whoosh test (for those with ADSL modems or routers that wont do line stats) performed either by PlusNet on your line or BT will help to establish if excessive line noise is the culprit.

**If line noise IS the cause BT engineers can often tweak the "gain" on your line, which has the effect of helping to reduce line noise hence less loss of sync or less dropped connections. This is what happened to me and no more line related problems since then.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

arrrgghh

I've been upgraded from 1mb to 2mb for a while now, though I had similar problems at the beginning of the upgrade, it soon went away, the BT checker and samknows says i'm fine for 2mb.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

arrrgghh

To raise a ticket click on Help at the top and then Contact Us on the left. Click new query and follow the connection problem wizard through.
mr_chris
Grafter

Re: Loss of Sync or Dropped Connections on BB Ivan

BT engineers can often tweak the "gain" on your line, which has the effect of helping to reduce line noise hence less loss of sync or less dropped connections.

Interesting, I've not heard of that before. I'm presuming this is on a line whereby previously the gain had been increased slightly to give you a faster dial up connection, and this was causing problems when you got upgraded to a faster ADSL service?

Or am I barking completely up the wrong tree? Wink
Community Veteran

arrrgghh

Tweeking the gain will NOT help on ADSL.
It does on dialup because thats an analogue signal whereby ADSL is a digital signal.
All you will acheive by increasing the gain is to lift the noise as well.
mr_chris
Grafter

arrrgghh

That's what I was getting at.... by tweaking the gain I assumed ivn2mod meant reducing it in order to reduce the noise level.
N/A

arrrgghh

Hi John,

NOP!! your wrong tweaking the "gain" actual made ALL the difference on my line !!, I had terrible random dropping connections on ADSL 512K and the only thing that was done to my BT line was having the gain tweaked.

**Tweaking the gain has nothing to do with being on dialup either I dont know where that idea comes from?

**The BT engineer never told me if the gain was increased or decreased by tweaking the gain I'm told reduces the instance of noise on the line & hence reduces related problems such as dropped connections & loss of sync.

**But my line has been completely different since the gain was adjusted, its been very stable and speeds have been very good. Very steady!

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

arrrgghh

Hmmm, its been fine all evening, *touch wood*

Perhaps it was an exchange or noise issue..

hmmmmm
holdtight
Grafter

arrrgghh

I was also under the impression like John that upping the gain on your line to decrease noise levels made no difference on an ADSL signal but does on dial up

Ive been going by this for some time now so who is right ? does it make a difference or not, i cant see as it does but i could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time) would be good to find out one way or the other