cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are you in favour of introducing flexable bb speeds

Community Veteran

I've just been browsing and discovered that Eclipse have a flexable bb service where by if any user wishes to increase their downlaod speed for a short period of time they can for a set cost per hour simply by selecting boost in their user settings.

EG any bb user can increase from 512 to 2mb for anywhere from 1 to 12 hrs. If they don't then their monthly charge stays as normal if the do they get a slight increase in monthly bill.

It means bb users can increase from 512 to 8mbits for short busrts if needed eg downloading a linux distro.

Sounds fair to me.

What do other people think

A
5 REPLIES
N/A

u've just hit on a pretty good idea there.

keep the current packages and basically have up to 4/8 mbit boost options availible on request. tbh not sure on what sort of pricing. maybe 2GB = £1 ?
Community Veteran

next door neighbour works for cisco on that type of hardware so the hardware exists.

I think there a couple of companies who do it other than just eclipse.

A.
chymorva
Grafter

Hi,
IIRC speed has nothing to do with cost (to the ISP, that is) but rather it is the bandwidth used. If this is right then one should pay for the amount one uses, not the rate at which it is used. This is called PAYG and seems to me to be the fairest way.
N/A

it costs plusnet in the region of 70P/GB

tbh when its a speed booster, i think time should really play a part otherwise people would just speed boost 12/7 if there a light user. Not really a gr8 scenario as it could potentionally have bursts the network couldnt really cope with until bt reduce central costs.

I dunno. Maybe a set cost for bandwidth used and a max of x hrs a day maybe
N/A

i voted No

Because i don't see the point in having speed bursts.

Mainly because they won't work. At this moment i don't think many customers would/could trust plus net with a service like this.

considering the current problems :-)