cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone experienced this? phones v Internet

N/A

hello folks, hope you can offer some advice. I've had an ongoing problem with my broadband. I unplugged everything except the router on the BT master socket, switched it off for an hour, and then all seemed to be well. plugged in a phone downstairs, and again no problems. the next morning I plugged in a second phone downstairs and my old broadband faults came back - connection dropping regularly, synch light on and off, a router reset needed to get about 60 seconds of Internet.

I've since unplugged the offending phone and all is well again. BT say our line and master socket is fine so it's not their problem. so is it the internal wiring? anyone know if an electrician can fix this? anyone experienced this kind of problem before and how did you tackle it? any advice you can offer is much appreciated. thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
N/A

The obvious question is do you have microfilters on all the sockets? I solved most of my problems by investing in good quality filters and replaced the cheap ones.
N/A

microfilters are in place, I forget how much they cost. they're all the same and the one connected to the router seems to be working fine. I guess I could try and replace the others to see if the problem goes away - any good quality makes I need to look out for?
N/A

I bought these ones http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/buya.html. They were recomended to me on here I think and they work very well.
Community Veteran

I guess I could try and replace the others to see if the problem goes away - any good quality makes I need to look out for?

If you swap the phones and microfilters over, does the problem 'follow' the microfilter of the phone? This may give you an answer.

But Yes, people have found, myself included that some phones even fitted with a microfilter can cause problems and so use filtered faceplates like those found here. This has the limitation that ADSL is only available from one socket in the house.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
oliverb
Grafter

It's also worth noting that some early/cheap microfilters had the ring wire passing through unfiltered.

Proper filters don't connect to the ring circuit at all they have their own ring capacitor.
N/A

thanks for the input everyone, will try alternative microfilters and testing each socket. then maybe settle for using one socket with wireless handsets or do the thing with the different socket. thanks!