cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone else with NON-wireless got strange amount of traffic?

N/A

I'm an IT professional, amongst other things I build networks, know how to look after my machines, keep them clean, etc etc etc

just recently have noticed unusual amount of traffic on my account, eg 175mb today, and all I've been to are some IT forums, googled and visited rock climbing sites(ie small) and watched a few video on clips on wimp.com.

Ahaa, you say, video clips = big files. No, not if only about 5-10 of them, each a couple of mins long max, and nothing huge in Temp Int Files. No quicktime either.

Anyway, in case I was guilty, phoned a few other friends using plusnet. Turns out they've also had unusually high traffic on their accounts recently, which is why I am posting here.

Anyone else noticed this? Higher traffic DOES equal more $$$ for certain parties........ Of course, could all be a mistake on our behalf, but......

Sad

oh, have router with NAT, multiple firewalls, use spybot et al all the time, FWIW
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Its hard to be certain but yes I've just had a look at my usage and a couple days this week have been much higher than normal (over 200 meg)

It's possible that mine has been caused by using "World Wind" and "Google Earth" a fair bit this week. Those programs download new images as you zoom in.

I'll keep my eye on it though and see if without using those its still gets high days.
N/A

Mine seems OK.

Allowing for the 1000/1024 difference, my own figure for this billing month (20th to 19th) works out to 1.499 GB, so 1.50 to two decimal places. PlusNet's figure is 1.51 - I wouldn't argue with a small difference like that.
N/A

bump
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Just a thought, are you using Firefox? There's a known bug in Firefox that Mozilla have yet to fix where if you are downloading a video stream e.g. from a web cam, that even if you close the browser will continue to stream the video in the background.
N/A

It's possible that mine has been caused by using "World Wind" and "Google Earth" a fair bit this week. Those programs download new images as you zoom in.

I've found Google Earth in particular to be a good way of using up a few hundred MB of bandwidth.

A good way though... Smiley
N/A

don't use Firefox, tho good to know - thanks

still having some insane volumes of bandwidth - not nice

gone over limit 2 now, and 3rd looming Sad

anyone got a reliable tool for measuring bandwidth on a daily basis, OTHER than Plus net's?

cheers
Community Veteran

Yep as suspected, leave the satalite view programs alone (google earth and world wind) and my usage figure really goes down.

If you are sill seeing vast amounts of usage that you can't account for I wonder if the "Radius Logs" that PlusNet have access to can throw any light on itHuh
N/A

hello

can you point me in the direction of said logs?

will do a search on radius in a mo

TIA
N/A

You don't have access to them, only PN can access them.

RADIUS is the authentication,. authorisation and accounting system PN use to monitor remote user access (RADIUS = Remote Authentication Dial In User Service)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Unfortunately RADIUS will only tell us what times you were connected and not what was using the traffic.

There is a program called DUMeter that you can use to measure the traffic.

Just want to go back to basics (I'm quoting John Major hmmm) and check a few things. Have you done a full virus scan? Have you checked VMU at different times of the day to see when (give or take a few hours) the traffic appears? Do you have any servers running e.g. ftp or web server?
N/A

yup, full virus scan

no ftp or web servers running

Sad
N/A

Does traffic hitting your local firewall add into the total used? I'm assuming the answer is yes as +net don't know its rubbish even after your firewall does what it does in rejecting the connection/packet whatever!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Yes it does. Any traffic that goes down the BT Centrals is recorded.

Phil