cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

... and the peak times "aren't that bad"

MysteryFCM
Grafter

Okay so it's almost 4am and I've got to get up for work in 2 hours but I'm not that asleep yet ......... the following speed tests indicate a major issue with the peak times IMHO.

20:30 - Your current speed is: 182.20kbps
20:34 - Your current speed is: 219.10kbps
21:00 - Your current speed is: 374.20kbps
21:30 - Your current speed is: 1.70 Mbps
22:24 - Your current speed is: 1.71 Mbps
22:57 - Your current speed is: 1.89 Mbps
00:37 - Your current speed is: 1.82 Mbps
02:00 - Your current speed is: 1.88 Mbps
03:55 - Your current speed is: 1.90 Mbps

Evidently, I can't test these between 7am > 6pm as I'm err, at work :lol: but I've got it on good authority (from my brother strangely, hehe) that the speeds are "okay" through the day, but get abismal (too drunk to care if thats spelt correctly :twistedSmiley toward 4pm ....
4 REPLIES
jagger
Grafter

Hi Steven,

I take it that that is the Plusnot Speedtester? ....which is about as reliable as the Plusnet VMBU,email,the portal,Plustalk,webspace stats etc, etc.

The only reliable test of your line is the BT speedtest (see the tutorials link).All the Plusnet one does is show you just how packed the pipes are at peak times,otherwise known as contention on the servers.

The automatic systems that Pn have now got in place to "protect the majority of users" don't.They just penalise the majority of users without the majority noticing and complaining or checking out their line (the wonderful L8NC comes to mind).

BT don't care.You would have to prove that your line cannot supply the 400 kbps required to meet the 2Meg standard (yep,you got that right,your 2 litre car is now a 400cc) which it obviously does most of the time.

I'd bet that should you subscribe to a L8NC line check then you would notice serious packet loss at the times you get low speeds.You'll also get 10 uncomfortable days or more when you get downgraded to MaxDSL shortly if the posts from convertees are anything to go by.

Gone are the days of a carefree BB experience on Plusnet.Possibly on any ISP nowadays.Not content with being very slow taking up broadband as a whole this wonderful country is now attempting to bugger it up by fiddling while the bandwidth burns.

Want a decent broadband experience? Move to Sweden.

It has been noted that Plusnet do drive you to drink in this age of enlightenment.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Hi Steven,

I take it that that is the Plusnot Speedtester? ....which is about as reliable as the Plusnet VMBU,email,the portal,Plustalk,webspace stats etc, etc.

hehe, I'd actually done the BT speed test prior to calling PN and everything was fine ........ but loved the rest of the reply Wink

..... and as an update, last checks;

04:49 - Your current speed is: 1.56 Mbps
17:17 - Your current speed is: 416.30kbps

416?..... oh dear, it's gonna be like this again isn't it?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Just posted the following ticket in response to my conversation with the nice CSC agent chap yesterday evening .........

Following my conversation with your nice CSC agent at approx 20:20 or thereabouts yesterday evening, please find below the results of several tests between then and now (was at work all day so couldn't do any between 7am - 5pm)

PlusNet Speed Test

20:30 - Your current speed is: 182.20kbps
20:34 - Your current speed is: 219.10kbps
21:00 - Your current speed is: 374.20kbps
21:30 - Your current speed is: 1.70 Mbps
22:24 - Your current speed is: 1.71 Mbps
22:57 - Your current speed is: 1.89 Mbps
00:37 - Your current speed is: 1.82 Mbps
02:00 - Your current speed is: 1.88 Mbps
03:55 - Your current speed is: 1.90 Mbps
04:49 - Your current speed is: 1.56 Mbps
17:17 - Your current speed is: 416.30kbps

Note, the BT speed test checks out just fine so the problem is most certainly WITHIN the PN networks and NOT outside of them (in this case atleast) and if I had to guess, I'd take a stab at it being down to your peak time "management" (I see the need for this and am not arguing with it - more disappointed that you've had to throttle it to such a degree)
Laser
Grafter

While I sympathise with your unhappiness at getting such abysmal speeds, I'd suggest it's not entirely down to the peak-time shaping.

The PN speed tester, along with most, is web-based and therefore presumbaly uses the HTTP protocol. This protocol is one of the highest priority. If you said those speeds were P2P or FTP, I'd agree about the shaping.

I have been conducting speed tests, both at AG and using the PN tester, at peak times on the BB+ package, and have seldom seen them at anything less than my full line speed.

To drop to 200kbps on HTTP suggests something is either screwed up on your profile, or there is very bad exchange contention. Or possibly, have you gone over your peak time allowance?