cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

& its goodbye from him

vic_newey
Grafter

& its goodbye from him

Be -unlimited 24meg have tested my line & reckon I would not even get 1 meg . Their test gave me the exact length of my line
at 4671m & as I am 2.4k from the exchange it seems my line has recently been rerouted or extended & accounts for why I can suddenly no longer achieve more than 1 meg ADSL
I am changing to blueyonder cable which I am using as we speak
& have requested my Plus service cancelled. I am blaming BT for this but 4 meg cable is very nice & consistant. I am hoping I can keep my Plus account name but can't get a definitive answer.
We are upping to 10meg tomorrow :lol: so even better ! I will post what speed it comes in at to make you all drool !
17 REPLIES
N/A

& its goodbye from him

Thats great that youve found a service that suits you vic, but do bare in mind that cable is still subject to a 50:1 contention ratio and can be come very congested during peak times.
I used to use the ntl 10meg service and found during peak times I would recieve only half the throughput quoted.
I was quite tempted to go back down the cable route again when i moved house, but unfortuneatly the ntl upstream of 500kbps isnt quite enough for my needs anymore, telewest comes in even lower at 384kbps.

best of luck Cheesy

regards
vic_newey
Grafter

& its goodbye from him

We live in a semi rural road altho it's not far to a housing development & cable was laid along our lane some years ago, there is just the odd house here & there & a telewest cabinet is across the road.
Telewest CS are allowed to offer deals on the spot & you can actually bargain with them lol, 10 meg is £35 but we will pay £31.50 inc a £5.50 TV package. & the first 3 months @ half price. You only get a deal if you upgrade or threaten to leave apparently. Upgrading earns you a free to keep Netgear router as well.
The speed upgrade to 4 meg was active 10 minutes after we put the phone down.
shellsong
Grafter

& its goodbye from him

Farewell Vic!

In your circumstances it probably makes a lot of sense to go cable although I'm a little surprised at Be's estimate-- if you have the same attenuation you had in June it would indicate that you have about 3.5 Km line length and would be able to get about 3.5-6 Mbps on ADSL2+ or did the BT "improvements" worsen your stats dramatically? Phearfactor was hardpressed to get 2 Mbps on MaxDSL and now he's getting about 900Kbps upstream and 5Mbps downstream on ADSL2+

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new connection!

Gerry
N/A

& its goodbye from him

Vic,

Don't forget to visit Plusnetters will you? Smiley
vic_newey
Grafter

& its goodbye from him

I was somewhat surprised myself at be's response :

Dear Victor,
Thank you for the replay. I have check the number but unfortunately the speed will be very slow. As you are 4671m away form the exchange the estimated speed that you can get with us should be less than 1 meg.
Kind Regards,
Dess/Be Team

I have been moaning for weeks about my low synch & now I know why, pre Max, various checkers all said I shoud get up to 3.5 meg
now they all say 1 meg even tho during training I synched at 2.4
& I ended up with a solid 1.5 which suddenly dropped to 1 meg after BT upgraded the lines & poles in our area.
Thats all water under the bridge now

Wink
vic_newey
Grafter

& its goodbye from him

Vic,

Don't forget to visit Plusnetters will you? Smiley

Its a pity I can't still comment on the forum here, they have said I can keep my username on dialup so I presume i can use that forum only Cry
Community Veteran

& its goodbye from him

Best wishes to you Vic! Smiley
vic_newey
Grafter

& its goodbye from him

Best wishes to you Vic! Smiley

well, thank you one & all,
Smiley
N/A

& its goodbye from him

Shame to see you go, but it makes sense to get shut of the BTw network if its incapable of providing you any sort of sensible service.
Its a pity I can't still comment on the forum here, they have said I can keep my username on dialup so I presume i can use that forum only

The "Script of Doom" is now working correctly again too, so your posting rights will be rescinded as soon as your account changes from a subscription based one to a free one.
I often think its a shame that folks like you can't continue to post in here, but equally often I'm pleased that some of the emptyheads can no longer drop in just to add unconstructive abuse.
Gotta have one rule for all unfortunately.

Good luck, and perhaps see you on www.plusnetters.co.uk/forums - remember the PUG site is still available for you as a non-customer too. ( http://usergroup.plus.net/forum )

Take care pal. Cool
N/A

& its goodbye from him

remember the PUG site is still available for you as a non-customer too.

I always thought that you could only post on the PUG site if you had a PlusNet connection; is that right or wrong?

...see you on the Plusnetters forum

Plusnetters is open to all PlusNet customers and ex-customers. Smiley

And:

You can earn points and bet them on topical events...
N/A

& its goodbye from him

Hmm, dunno, I always thought it was an open house. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Pnetters is open to all though - watch out for the bookie though, he always wins. :lol:
Community Veteran

& its goodbye from him

What the official PUG line is on ex-customers I don't know however I know that you only have to signup via a plusnet connection after that you are free to post from anywhere.

Good luck on Cable, Vic and hope we still see you around somewhere.
N/A

& its goodbye from him

of course some ex-customers have other accounts through which they can post - it is fun to watch the awfulness once you're out Wink
N/A

& its goodbye from him

Thats great that youve found a service that suits you vic, but do bare in mind that cable is still subject to a 50:1 contention ratio

No they don't, they don't operate under a contention ratio, if anything it's 1:1

and can be come very congested during peak times.

Your own personal experiences with Ntl, although helpful are for a different ISP and therefor not a reflection of the service that is received with Blueyonder.

As for slow speeds at peak times, that more likely to be high utilisation issues or SNR problems on local UBR's. Its going to be more of a local issue than an nation wide issue.