cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice re 512 broadband

N/A

advice re 512 broadband

Hi All,

I've just paid for a regrade to try and get 1mb (knew 2mb was never on as we are at the end of a very long line!). I received an email today saying that 1mb was not possible even though the stats looked ok for 1mb.

My question is, now that we can only get 512 broadband, is plus net good value for money or not? We've been with them for two years with no problems at all and while there seem to be a lot cheaper 512 offers out there would we be any better off (service wise) than we are at the fee of 21.99. It's very confusing with the amount of different services, I have family who are with AOL and paying a good deal less than us but getting no where near the reliable connection that we get.

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated

Best wishes

Tracey.
5 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

advice re 512 broadband

How much data do you use? and what sort of data is it?

If you don't use your static IP address, P2P, usenet, much webspace, cgi or mysql then you would be best downgrading to a £14.99 Plus account.

If you do use those things but your total usage is low then a PAYG account might suit you better.

This forum isn't the best place to find out about other ISP's offerings, somewhere like ADSLGuide is much better suited to that.
N/A

advice re 512 broadband

Ben,

I'm not looking for someone to recommend another ISP, just a general discussion into the pro's and cons of staying at 512k for 21.99 per month.

Downgrading is not an option - we use approximately 12gb a month with a heavily gaming teenager!!

Tracey
Ben_Brown
Grafter

advice re 512 broadband

Gaming will be fine on a Plus account, it's just p2p and usenet that it doesn't perform well at. As long as your heavily gaming teenager doesn't use this sort of thing too much then you would be better off on a Plus account.
N/A

advice re 512 broadband

Ben,

Teenager plays World of Warcraft which uses P2P. We don't want any less a service than we have now - I couldn't stand the moaning Smiley

All I was trying to find out from the more experienced than me out there was if 21.99 is a reasonable price for the service we are getting at 512 as most are now getting 2mb.

It was a general query out of interest more than anything now we know that there is no chance of getting an upgrade of any sort. There must be others in our situation who are unable to upgrade as well.

Tracey.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

advice re 512 broadband

This is not really the place to discuss competitors to PlusNet but the fact that you are limited to 512MB means that there are a number of unlimited unrestricted unthrottled packages available at about the same price as you are paying. If you do start having speed problems on World of Warcraft downloads then a quck search on ADSL Guide will help.