cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice needed

kevchalluk
Grafter

advice needed

As a new customer (not yet connected) I've read these forums daily for the last week or so and have to say I'm a bit dismayed at what I'm reading!!! I'm a casual internet user and will be on the BB+ account, but will want to download the odd bit of music here and there etc so am I likely to find that a pain in the backside and are speeds etc really as bad as is made out on here?

I'm currently on dialup and have switched to BB+ cos the phone bills are costing a fortune as my partner is at Uni and is online quite a lot researching her Masters degree. We only have a laptop at home and won't be downloading mega amounts of stuff cos I don't really use the internet in my spare time as I have web access all day long at work and can't really be bothered with it.

The more I read these forums the more I wonder if broadband is more hassle that it's worth for the price!! I realise it's gonna be quicker than dialup and for relatively the same price overall so should I really not worry about itHuh

:?
23 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

advice needed

For the vast majority of people's needs the Broadband Plus account is more than adequate.

Although P2P is a bit slower on Plus, it can still be used. Also if you are downloading an MP3 from a website then this won't be affected.
kevchalluk
Grafter

advice needed

I see all this talk of p2p but have no idea what it is??

MP3s will probably be downloaded from online or from emails yeah.
N/A

advice needed

MP3s will probably be downloaded from online or from emails yeah.

Don't worry about it then, you'll be fine.
N/A

advice needed

Although P2P is a bit slower on Plus, it can still be used. Also if you are downloading an MP3 from a website then this won't be affected.

How can you say P2P IS a bit slower on Plus Ben it's a lot lot slowerHuh

I'm lead to believe by reading here and other places customers on BB+ are seeing dialup speeds using P2P?
kevchalluk
Grafter

advice needed

but if traffic is "shaped" or whatever, will that affect my speeds too or is it not noticeable if you're just surfingHuh

sorry about the stupid questions BTW, i'm new to this Shockedops:
Alecto
Grafter

advice needed

Unless there are two of you, you asked the same question on Plusnetters a few days ago. Tongue You should have told us we didn't explain it properly.
N/A

advice needed

get out now
kevchalluk
Grafter

advice needed

Unless there are two of you, you asked the same question on Plusnetters a few days ago. Tongue You should have told us we didn't explain it properly.

yeah, it's me but i wasn't entirely sure what you meant!!
kevchalluk
Grafter

advice needed

get out now

see, this is what i mean!! :shock: :lol:
Ben_Brown
Grafter

advice needed

This forum is intended for feedback from our customers. This feedback can be negative or positive but should always be contructive.

Your post is not constuctive or helpful, if you are not able to post appropriately then please refrain from posting in this forum.
N/A

advice needed

but if traffic is "shaped" or whatever, will that affect my speeds too or is it not noticeable if you're just surfingHuh

sorry about the stupid questions BTW, i'm new to this Shockedops:

Okay - Plusnet try and stop heavy downloading by 'shaping' the traffic, i.e. only allowing it to go at certain speeds. In the instance of normal HTTP traffic (websites) there's no point as there's little bandwidth used.

Again, if you're only using websites / emails, you're not going to have a problem at all.
N/A

advice needed

Ben with all due respect you saying

"Although P2P is a bit slower on Plus"

Is not helping we all know it's a lot slower on BB+ and BB+ is not recommend for using wanting to use P2P

Can you give the speed that P2P is throttled on BB+ peak and off peak times please?
Community Veteran

advice needed

kevchalluk,

By the sounds of it you will be fine. Happy surfing....
N/A

advice needed

@progomez.

Posts like your last are not helpful and are certainly not feedback.

Please excercise a bit of thought before posting similar comments again.

This is a feedback forum for the benefit of customers. If you cannot contribute in a constructive manner then ignore the subject.