cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access to new CGI server from non-plusnet IPs

N/A

I sent the following message via the "Contact Us" system, and the reply was "This is quite a popular request, if you raise this idea on our discussion forums it will be given consideration." Well I don't entirely understand why I have to post to a public forum and can't just make a suggestion directly via the contact us system, but here is a copy of the message. NB I will not stick around to check for followups, so if any member of plus.net staff would like to reply, please could you contact me directly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the new CGI server, it would be immensely helpful if you could please allow ADSL customers some way of ssh-ing to it from machines other than the home ADSL machine itself. I appreciate that you may not want to allow unrestricted global access for security reasons, but please could you allow users to nominate particular IP addresses for you to allow connections from. (You could then reasonably insist that users take responsibility for all connections originating from their nominated IP addresses.)

21 REPLIES
N/A

The reason is because contact us tickets are not public.

If you want support for an idea, there is little point asking PlusNet who could say OK, turn around and throw it in the bin.

In a public forum, you can drum up and proove there is a demand for such a feature.
LiamM
Grafter

Not that the OP will see your reply anyway, Philip.

Unfortunate that.
N/A

I support Alan's proposal.
N/A

Hi, okay I've come here back at last to see what's up. (I rather hoped not to have to, but nobody from plus.net staff has got back to me personally.)

Many thanks to "dabotsonline" for your support for the idea.

How can this topic get given an "Idea number" like other topics on this forum (which I presume means that someone is considering it seriously)? I originally raised this suggestion to plus.net staff via the contact us system, and they replied that I should post it here and then they would consider it. However, I wonder whether the person just said that to avoid having to deal with it personally and it is in fact simply being ignored.

Many thanks.
Community Veteran

nope, that is the actual ideas proceedure, I for one am in support of the idea but did not post before because I felt that there was no point if the original suggester would not read my post. If more people post in support of the idea hopefully the when the comms team get round to doing another sort out of the ideas that it will be submitted and given a reference number.

You may find this helpful, it is fairly recent an explanation of how the ideas process works
N/A

Okay, thank you very much for the expression of support and for the pointer regarding the ideas process.

In case my saying previously that I wouldn't come back here is a disincentive to anybody posting, let me change that and now say I will make a point of checking the messages from time to time. So please speak up if you have an opinion on this suggestion.

The score so far:

Support: 3 (alaniwi, dabotsonline, no7olivier)

Oppose: 0
N/A

The score so far:

Support: 3 (alaniwi, dabotsonline, no7olivier)

Oppose: 0

Would you add me to the support group also.
N/A

Add my vote for it as well...
N/A

I would definitely vote for that...
N/A

yes vote from me
N/A

Add 1 from me.

Just had a heated dicussion via contact tickets with some frankly bizzare reasoning.

Security was one, but as anyone theoretically with a plusnet account can gain access then it seems a little lame. Someone who wanted to hack the CGI server for any reason would just have to open a relatively cheap plusnet account. As Plusnet has 10,000's of users either it should be just the account holder that can gain access or anyone who we(I) give my password details to.

Many organisation use web devlopers to design administer and manage their sites - PlusNet prevent this!!!
N/A

Now have the definite answer from support team

I quote
"We are not a dedicated web hosting company, but an ISP, which means we primarily supply you with your Internet connection and email. Other services on your account are value added services.

The restrictions applied have been detailed clearly, regardless of what others do this is what we do, therefore to upload files to your cgi space you will need to be connected to our selves to transfer said files, there is no other way round this.

If this is not satisfactory then I would suggest you seek out a dedicated hosting
service.

Regards,

Stephen Blower"

Amazing
N/A

Security was one, but as anyone theoretically with a plusnet account can gain access then it seems a little lame. Someone who wanted to hack the CGI server for any reason would just have to open a relatively cheap plusnet account

You have obviously not thought about this completely.

Where you only allow PlusNet customers to connect, you have a security trail.

As a broadband customers, they can record your IP address and thus track connections back to you.

As a Dialup customer they can do the same, even for PAYG dialup customers. Presenting your CLI (telephone number) is a requirement to connect. Thus they can track connections to your phone number.
batfastad
Grafter

I would definitely vote for that.

With FTP access as well.

Yes there are security concerns, but other hosts who don't offer internet services do it - unless PlusNet aren't too sure about the security of their new, secure, CGI platform.

A group of us were at a trade show with work recently and needed to update our website with press release material.

But oh no.