cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about pci modems

N/A

about pci modems

hi i just want your folks opinon on whats the best pci modem to use please. At the moment i am using a usb modem and during the last week i keep losing my connection and i was talking to friends and they said it could be the usb modem any ideas would be great. Oh and i have a 2 mbit dl speed and a 256 upload so it has to be able to take that speed
many thanks
Edward
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: about pci modems

> hi i just want your folks opinon on whats the best pci modem to use please. At the moment i am using a usb modem and during the last week i keep losing my connection and i was talking to friends and they said it could be the usb modem any ideas would be great. Oh and i have a 2 mbit dl speed and a 256 upload so it has to be able to take that speed
> many thanks
> Edward

Hi Edward,

PCI Modems and USB modems tend to have the same sorts of problems... I would personally try a powered USB hub in your situation first. Really what you ideally want to do is try out someone elses modem to see if the fault is cured. If ti is then buy that sort of modem!

Have you considered an ADSL Router? These are generally the most stable and convienient connection devices.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: about pci modems

> > hi i just want your folks opinon on whats the best pci modem to use please. At the moment i am using a usb modem and during the last week i keep losing my connection and i was talking to friends and they said it could be the usb modem any ideas would be great. Oh and i have a 2 mbit dl speed and a 256 upload so it has to be able to take that speed
> > many thanks
> > Edward
>
> Hi Edward,
>
> PCI Modems and USB modems tend to have the same sorts of problems... I would personally try a powered USB hub in your situation first. Really what you ideally want to do is try out someone elses modem to see if the fault is cured. If ti is then buy that sort of modem!
>
> Have you considered an ADSL Router? These are generally the most stable and convienient connection devices.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support


Hi Ian,
thanks for the quick reply. Just one thing where is the best place to get a adsl router if i need one in the end from you ( plusnet ) ?
N/A

RE: about pci modems

www.ebuyer.com
That's where I get all my modems and things needed.
No postage charge on orders at the min.
N/A

RE: about pci modems

Hi,

There are many suppliers of good ADSL equipment. Ebuyer are someone I have used from time to time, although they do have an exceptionally bad reputation I've never had a problem! Personally I don't think you will go far wrong if you read the reveiws at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/ and follow the links there.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: about pci modems

> Hi,
>
> There are many suppliers of good ADSL equipment. Ebuyer are someone I have used from time to time, although they do have an exceptionally bad reputation I've never had a problem! Personally I don't think you will go far wrong if you read the reveiws at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/ and follow the links there.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support



thanks for the replys guys

edward
N/A

RE: about pci modems

If Ebuyer has a bad reputation then I do not know why.
They are the only people I will deal with.
If they are as bad as you would have us believe then there is no way I would use them for all componants used in ALL the systems I build.
I have not had one single problem regarding the service they provide(sales),or with any items I buy from them.
There are far more suppliers who like to take your money and not want anything to do with you when something is faulty.
N/A

RE: about pci modems

> I have not had one single problem regarding the service they provide(sales),or with any items I buy from them.

Hi Kev,

No, sorry, let me redeem myself - I have never had a problem with Ebuyer and I know a lot of the guys and gals over there - I find them perfectly good and no one should make any decision about who to buy from based on my say so! We all get bad press from time to time and I would like to think that it can all be got past...

I will drop you a link to something I was reading though mate - Would be interested in yoru thoughts!

Regards,

Ian
N/A

RE: about pci modems

> > I have not had one single problem regarding the service they provide(sales),or with any items I buy from them.
>
> Hi Kev,
>
> No, sorry, let me redeem myself - I have never had a problem with Ebuyer and I know a lot of the guys and gals over there - I find them perfectly good and no one should make any decision about who to buy from based on my say so! We all get bad press from time to time and I would like to think that it can all be got past...
>
> I will drop you a link to something I was reading though mate - Would be interested in yoru thoughts!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian

--------------------------------------------------
Sure,
always ready to read.
By the way,
apart from being a systems builder,I am also a trained comms engineer.
One point I would like to raise is regarding the A360 modem quick install guide.
Step 1 in the guide is not relevant to the Uk.
ADSL"Phone jacks"are in use in the USA,not over here.
The only way to connect the A360 lead is by plugging it into a flter with a UK connector.
The filter included in the modem box is not much use over here unless you have phones with us type plugs.
There are phone sockets with us and uk sockets on them but as it is not legal to alter the phone companies master socket,there is not much choice.
-------------------------------------------------

fonejacker
Grafter
Posts: 382
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: about pci modems

HI Kev,

Are you talking about the Quick Start Guide we provide or one that comes shipped with the Modem?

I understood we told customers to dis-regard the American style filter in the information we provided? If that is not how you found it then do let me know and I will get someone to go hassle our suppliers...

Apparently we can't get the packaging changed to not include the equipment, but we should certainly make the points you have made in the documentation?

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support


N/A

RE: about pci modems

> HI Kev,
>
> Are you talking about the Quick Start Guide we provide or one that comes shipped with the Modem?
>
> I understood we told customers to dis-regard the American style filter in the information we provided? If that is not how you found it then do let me know and I will get someone to go hassle our suppliers...
>
> Apparently we can't get the packaging changed to not include the equipment, but we should certainly make the points you have made in the documentation?
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support
---------------------------------------------
Hi,
yes this is so,the quick start install guide version 3.1.23.17a-UK-F1(LUK)
in step 1(hardware installation)states:
The cables you should connect initially are the RJ-11 ADSL cable and external filter.
1.Connect one end of the RJ-11 ADSL cable to modems"LINE" jack and the other to your ADSL wall jack.
In step 2 it tells you to plug the external filter(in the box) into the modems "PHONE"jack.
Connect the other end of the telephone cord into the external filter and the other end into the phone/answering machine/fax machine itself.
Point 1.ADSL wall"jacks" are not fitted in the UK.
Point 2.the inline filter included with modem in the box is for america.
Point 3.
As stated in my other post,you cannot plug the modem plug into a non existant ADSL"wall jack".
So to sum up the facts,incorrect instructions for installing modem hardware,nothing written in the "Your ADSL USB MODEM SETUP GUIDE" to say NOT to follow step 1 in the quick install guide.
Nothing written anywhere(on paper)to say how to connect the modem lead to a filter/splitter of UK type.
The rest of the Your ADSL USB MODEM SETUP GUIDE is correct.

There is no QUICK START GUIDE that you provide,the guide you provide is called "Your ADSL USB MODEM SETUP GUIDE".
No,there is nothing in the single sheet guide you provide saying to ignore anything about a filter.



fonejacker
Grafter
Posts: 382
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: about pci modems

Hi Kev,

It sounds like the suppliers are still sending out an old copy of the Setup sheet as we DEFINATELY changed this on later versions.

I will get onto this tomorrow.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support