cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You think PlusNet Doesn't Communicate Read This

N/A

Smiley If some subscribers were unhappy with PlusNets communications etc then got to http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and check BT out. Below is a quick copy of the news. Read the letter published there.
PlusNet is a pussycat compared to that. At least PlusNet listen and respond.
Cheesy Cheesy

Makes me feel happy to be here really. Cheesy

BT Retail has made a couple of changes to its usage guidelines since it started to introduce them in June 2004. 2500 letters have been sent out charging customers £1 per GB for usage over the 40GB limit on their service. The letter appears to have only been sent to those who have used their connection far in excess of the 40GB, i.e. around the 100GB area.

The 40GB limit is the upper limit for the BT Retail services and this was raised from 30GB in October 2005. At that time, it was not clear what the penalty and options would be for those exceeding the 40GB limit and this has been clarified with a change to the terms and conditions of the service. The £1 per GB change was not, however, as widely announced as the 40GB limit itself. A copy of the letter sent out can be seen below:

Click image to view a larger copy

People who have received the letter are given three options:

Pay the excess usage charge, and any extra monthly fees for an upgrade to the BT Broadband Option 4 product (£29.99 per month)
Obtain a MAC (Migration Authorisation Code) and migrate to another service provider (meaning you will not have to pay the excess usage charge)
Ignore the letter. After 30 days you will find the service is suspended, and a further 30 days later, the service is terminated. A suspended service can be re-instated if you contact BT, but once terminated you will need to pay the activation fee to get another ADSL service.
An email/letter has been sent out warning users that their usage is over the acceptable limits for the service, but not all high usage users appear to have received it.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Yep,

Sounds as though Plusnet have been on the good side in comparison to BT. But I cannot help but feel that the high usage customers on BT's network are to blame for their own actions as they knew what the limit was (although there was no clear guidelines for the penalty for breaching these).

This one swings both ways, it was the customers responsibility to find out what the penalty is/was yet att he same time it was BT's responsibilty to put it in their T&C's prior to enforcing it.

Another case of lack of comms me thinks and a very harsh backlash.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I think I read somewhere that the BT customers didn't have any means (from BT at least) to see how much they where downloading. Think I read that somewhere on ag.

Phil
kitz
Rising Star

>> I think I read somewhere that the BT customers didn't have any means (from BT at least) to see how much they where downloading.

Yep Ive seen that reported too.
I believe theres quite a few ISP's that have capped accounts yet their users have no means of monitoring their bandwidth.

I also know someone that had been paying £29.99 for 2.5 years with BT, and they didnt write and advise her when they reduced their charges on various packages either.
Seen the same thing reported across various ISP's including Wanadoo who supposedly werent giving their existing customers free speed regrades unless they paid £20 to move to one of the new accounts. :/
N/A

Cheesy It seems PN is ahead of the game and actually communicates, seems a good deal to me. I have checked a number of other ISP's and there seems to be constrictions and caps all around. PN looks like the better deal of many.
N/A

Seen the same thing reported across various ISP's including Wanadoo who supposedly werent giving their existing customers free speed regrades unless they paid £20 to move to one of the new accounts. :/

I was with Wanadoo before I moved to Plusnet. The main reason I moved was that they wouldn't upgrade my account to 2mb from 512kb unless I paid £15 and if I did upgrade I would have a 30GB download limit each month. I rarely got near the limit, but I had no way to check if I was near the limit and their website has no useful information about your account, you can check your email and that is about it.