cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet Another Connection Speed Question

dukeofearl

We recently upgraded to an 8Mb connection. Firstly, let me say that we are out in the country in a farmhouse so I was not expecting miracles !!

Symptoms are as follows...

Started with original 1.1Mb connection.
Upgraded to 8Mb.
After a couple of weeks of settling, router shows a 3.36Mb connection, which I would be quite happy with, based on location.
However, no matter what is downloaded, speeds never go over the original 120KB/sec we were achieving before.
I've just run the speedtest from the sticky, results are below; other ADSL speedtesters are very similar.
I would have expected a siginificant change in download speeds - where is it going wrong ??
Router is Netgear 834GT with V3 firmware, 100Mb internal cable networking to my dual core PC.

Is it an F9 setting somewhere or something I am doing wrong?

Ideas welcome, thanks !!

------------------------------------------------
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3360 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 997 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
-------------------------------------------------
2 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

At a sync speed of 3360kbps you should have an IP profile of 2500kbps (ref table at bottom of this page). It looks to me like you have a stuck bRAS profile (see further up the referenced page), not an uncommon problem during Max DSL upgrades.

You need to raise a ticket pointing out the problem (include the BT test result you posted) and requesting F9 Customer Support to ask BT Wholesale to reset your profile.

Once that is sorted out it is likely that TCP parameters RWIN and MTU will need tweaking to increase your actual speed closer to the profile speed. Rather than repeating information covered elsewhere could I refer you to this topic on the Community site which is concerned with this issue and shows what can be achieved by tweaking these values.

If you post a tweak-test url from DSLreports here I'll be pleased to comment further.

Regards, David
David
dukeofearl

Thanks for tip - I've logged a call and Force9 have requested a change to a larger bRAS - it's almost like being on "How to Look Good Naked" if anyone has ever seen it...
The ladies concerned always need bigger bras !! :lol: