cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes - MySQL Admin Upgrade!

Community Veteran

Thankyou PlusNet... the upgrade to PhpMyAdmin I'm sure will make alot of people very happy!

:lol:

Thomas
14 REPLIES
N/A

Very very happy.

However, it doesn't note that the DROP command will be enabled too.

Is anybody aware if it will?
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

You have always been able to use the DROP command through the web interface on the portal, just not from the CGI servers. The new interface still has this option (I just tested it on the beta version).

This upgrade will not allow you to drop from the command line or through scripts yet but this is being worked on internally as the original reason for not allowing it was resolved when SQL was updated to a later version a couple of months ago.

Regards,
N/A

No problem, I can still wait (though I aint got any nails left now, it will be my fingers by then).

The last post (in the ideas forum), said they would be done in sync.
N/A

Mass dropping would be nice - but I can always restart my database I suppose.
Anyone got an approximate idea of how long the restart turnaround is? Are we talking hours or days?
jberry
Grafter

HI there,

If you mean removing and reactivating the database then this should be virtually instant (no more than a few minutes anyway).

Regards,
N/A

Very very happy.

However, it doesn't note that the DROP command will be enabled too.

Is anybody aware if it will?

You will have the DROP functionality built into the new tool. Smiley

Chris Smith
PlusNet Support Team
N/A

This was expected, however, not why I was asking.

phpmyadmin is a very very good tool. It allows almost limitless administration of a MySQL server.

However, what it doesn't do, is enable software that us users run ont he CGI server, to use the DROP command.

phpgroupware for one, requires the drop command to function, and simply says it failed to install because it can't delete its own test table.

No amount of phpmyadmin tweaks fix this.
Mike_Grice
Grafter

This was expected, however, not why I was asking.

phpmyadmin is a very very good tool. It allows almost limitless administration of a MySQL server.

However, what it doesn't do, is enable software that us users run ont he CGI server, to use the DROP command.

phpgroupware for one, requires the drop command to function, and simply says it failed to install because it can't delete its own test table.

No amount of phpmyadmin tweaks fix this.

Hi there,

This is basically explained in Josh's post further up. To be able to DROP from something like phpgroupware you would need the functionality from the command line (as all the php is doing is invoking the command line SQL client, or its shared libraries at least).

This is scheduled to happen in line with other developments, however we felt that the upgrade to phpmyadmin was deemed to have a higher priority as more people use it and the current tool we had was somewhat lacklustre.
Community Veteran

Well, I really like the implementation, thanks PlusNet!!!

There's just one small thing though... unless phpMyAdmin has changed its name to myPHPAdmin, you might want to change the title of this page (even though it's only a redirect): https://portal.plus.net/tools/phpmyadmin/myphpadmin_support.html

Cheesy

Thomas
N/A

I have just dropped multiple tables using the new MySQL interface and I'm extremely happy with the new implementation.

It will now be a pleasure to work with the database and not have to spend ages dropping individual tables. I had this problem, as my database was so large, restoring from a backup all the time was a complete nightmare.

Anyway, it's very reassuring that you are listening to customers and actually carrying out these improvements.

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Yep... it'll make my "twiddling" with my forums much easier. Cool

Thomas
N/A

Hi all,

Just to completely clarify here, we have changed user privileges now to to enable you to use the DROP command from whichever MySQL client you choose to use and not just the PHPMyAdmin interface via the portal.
N/A

Damn. I envisioned a 2 week wait, but that is fantastic.

Good work
N/A

Just to completely clarify here, we have changed user privileges now to to enable you to use the DROP command from whichever MySQL client you choose to use and not just the PHPMyAdmin interface via the portal.

That's good news as well Smiley I already have phpmyadmin setup. It is slightly faster than the portal one for whatever reasons.

thanks Smiley