cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xtion down and can't raise a ticket - Deaf lady isolated

N/A

My mother's account (Ladysparky) is throttled to 512Kbps following line drop issues last year. I visited her yesterday and she is getting the same problem since Friday daytime. Things were fine in the morning and broken in the evening. She is not on LLU and does not need more than 512Kbps.

The router was connecting and then disconnecting from ADSL a minute later. Even when connected no websites were accessible. Later on the connection stayed on but still http was not responding. I did discover that she was able ot ping servers and even make a slow but working FTP connection via dos prompt.

I managed to get some line stats but have no idea what conclusions to make of it. I'm aware of the usual checks for checking a broadband fault having been through that last year when PN utterly fouled that up and my mother was offline for over 2 months.

Anyway here are the stats. Maybe someone here can help as it is impossible to get through toPN by phone and there is no option to raise a ticket. As my mother is deaf and partially sighted she relies on emails for communication so I need to work quicker than PN can.

Downstream:
Capacity Occupation: 86% (have seen this go over 90 too)
Noise Margin: 5
Attenuation: 57
Output Power: 12

Upstream:
Capacity Occupation: 42%
Noise Margin: 22
Attenuation: 31
Output Power: 14

Downstream:
FEC: 0
CRC: 1383
HEC: 388
Upstream:
FEC: 0
CRC: 1
HEC: 1

Suggestions of an other ISP that can do basic stuff at a low (for broadband) speed who have a customer support like PN USED to would be appreciated.
31 REPLIES
N/A

That's a pretty low SNR value (5 db) and probably part of the cause.

There are still a number of other ISPs offering non-DSL Max service, but if it is possible to try one or more alternative routers, to see whether the low SNR is really that low, it might help determine whether it is the line quality, or whether some other router could do better for the connection, before switching ISP (a line / router / poor signal problem is not going to be affected by choice of ISP so little point considering it an instant fix, IMO).
N/A

Do you have any ideas how to confirm the SNR?

My comments about switching ISP are more to do with the state of customer support from Plusnet rather than any performance of the line.
N/A

That's a pretty low SNR value (5 db) and probably part of the cause.

He he you dont want to see mine then really do you lol.

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 4864
US Margin 22
DS Margin 1
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 47
US Line Attenuation 60
Path Mode Fast Path

Usually its on about 3 this time of night and all day long, but hey what can you do lol. The fact that the router still holds a very stable connection is a great bonus though.

Anyway getting back on topic...
N/A

Can't believe giving your circumstances that a plusnet representative has not replied to your post immediately. Disgracefull.
James
Grafter

Steady on!

We just haven't seen the post. I'm picking this up now.

I notice you all let me know about this problem? Works both ways you know.
N/A

Nice attitude, but I get your point!

Would you like us to PM you in future and if so, is it youirself or any Plusnet Comms Team member, cause if thats what you want, you will be swamped.
N/A

It needed a push to the top to get noticed?
James
Grafter

Sorry, it's early Smiley

The Comms focusing staff are on a shift pattern and we don't see every post, but it never does anyone any harm in giving us a little prod.

We can't read everything, and at the time it was posted, there was only Dave in and I was about to leave the office.
N/A

Forgive me but my patience has grown very thin over the way plusnet handle their responses.
N/A

Sorry, it's early Smiley

The Comms focusing staff are on a shift pattern and we don't see every post, but it never does anyone any harm in giving us a little prod.

We can't read everything, and at the time it was posted, there was only Dave in and I was about to leave the office.

It would help if you told us how to give you a prod though, with the way Plusnet is at the moment, my mind reading skills are getting better, but the distance between us makes it hard.
James
Grafter

Very long stick?
PM?
Email?
N/A

Fair enough, when the email is working properly or less intermittenly that might work, PM how do we now who is on shift or if the person you are PMing is going to be at work and very long stick - touche.
James
Grafter

I generally work 0800-2400 (on and off after 1900) most days and am often around at the weekend.
N/A

-I removed it - felt too guilty about using this thread.