cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX Live speed

Community Veteran

XBOX Live speed

Just a quick question/topic.

Given a recent post stating that Gamin was being given a 512kbps allowance for each customer, can someone explain how this affects XBOX live?

Fair enough for actual gaming, the latency is probably more important than the bandwidth, but what about the demo downloads and xbox live updates etc. Are these also restricted to 512kb?

Wouldnt some games also be nearing that limit of 512kb also? Like COD3 for example where 24 player sessions are possible - would 512kb be enough?

Having not delved too far into the ins and outs of bandwidth used during online gaming etc, then Im not to clued up on the details, I was just under the impression that limiting gaming to 512k seemed like a bad thing, but I dont know.

Any views/answers appreciated.

Ta,
Chris.
14 REPLIES
N/A

XBOX Live speed

Well I have just had a dashboard update download for my xbox360 and that was very slow indeed and I am sure the update was small.
Community Veteran

XBOX Live speed

I had that update too. And that was slow for me also.

Ive actually got a download for Rainbow Six demo in my active downloads, (but gears of war cuts it off when playing so it only downloads when Im at the dashboard).

I suppose I could calculate the speed from the size of the download (approx 1GB) and how long it takes for each 1% to download.

A task for this evening I reckon.

But if XBLIVE is classed as gaming, and if it is restricted to 512k, that means I cant download demos as fast as I should be able to on my connection at off peak times, due to artificial throttling of the gaming connection - how can this be justified?

If I downloaded the same demo for the PC via http off peak, it would come down at 4mb. So now instead of my gamin having a superior service, its actually worse. :?

Confused...
N/A

XBOX Live speed

with me having a business connection, how is my gaming effected?
N/A

XBOX Live speed

I asked the same question Here - but it was never officially answered.

Playing PES6 today and chatting via live was causing bad lag in the game, I believe it's down to these restrictions.
Community Veteran

XBOX Live speed

Sorry to drag this back up, but I'd like to add that my gaming was lagging like heck over the weekend.

Playing gears of war and there was about a 1 second delay between firing the gun, and the bullets coming out the end of it, I connected to various matches/servers to assess whether it was the host or myself, and I concluded it was my connection causing it.

Sadly there was no way of finding actual pings in this game.

It did prove for some mildly amusing moments when my shotgun managed to kill someone about half a second after my characters head had been detached from its body though, so not all bad.
James
Grafter

XBOX Live speed

Hi there,

Not a specific problem that we're aware of. If other people are suffering similar problems I'll get Networks to investigate.

PS: Is it as good as it look on the advert?
Community Veteran

XBOX Live speed

It may just have been peak time lag, or possibly due to restrictions on the gaming traffic, but hopefully all will be fixed eventually. Its not like im in any sort of league etc or take it that seriously - its a game at the end of the day. I just like to play it to take out the days stress on people - but it just seems to wind me up more when I get killed first - lol. Maybe I just suck at it?

PS - yes it is as good as it looks. (the adverts are made using in game engine graphics, so are real time generated, not FMV).

Its a bit short in the story line department, and playing it on the easiest level it will be over in about 5 hours tops. But... play it in co-op mode or in online multiplayer mode and its just excellent. Dont expect to be as involved with the story as you are in Halo for example, but for pure graphics and run&gun fun, its very good indeed.
N/A

XBOX Live speed

TBH I don't really care how much slower my XBL downloads are.

What I do care about is how slow my actual XBL gaming is, how the PN network affects my ability to play games that are designed for high speed broadband connections & being on 2mb premier I bought them thinking that I was playing at 2mb not a poxy 512mbs!
Community Veteran

XBOX Live speed

What the heck has happened tonight?

Im supposed to be playing online tonight, but how is that possible with this:

N/A

XBOX Live speed

is there a 512kb gaming cap on the premier option. i signed up for plusnet because the premier advert on the site says "Great-value broadband. Perfect for downloads, gaming and connecting several computers"

if theres a 512kb cap, im cancelling right now... im a dedicated gamer and the reason i came here was because i cant game on a shared connection (live in a student house)
ceridwen
Grafter

XBOX Live speed

Yes there is - PN are claiming that although this restriction differs from the product description it is in "live trial" and may only be temporary - however, by failing to give notice of this restriction they are in breach of their own T&Cs

Matthew
Community Veteran

XBOX Live speed

I dont know about it being in breach of the T's & C's etc, nor can I be particularly bothered to find out or argue the point.

What does bother me is that a mate down the road on the same exchange and only on a 512k product, can experience pings/latency ten times lower than mine at peak times.

Surely this eliminates the exchange congestion as an issue, and points squarely at PN having some issue at their end which is causing me to have a completely rubbish gaming experience on XBLive.
Liam
Grafter

XBOX Live speed

Chesterfield, Bob has replied to your point here :- http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=382267#382267

The gaming rate limit is set to be removed later today.
Community Veteran

XBOX Live speed

Thats great, but, as Bob has stated the rate limits shouldn't affect latency, but something clearly is.

Last night, as I say, myself and a friend conducted tests at the same time, to the same speedtester, via the same exchange, we have the same router too for what thats worth.

His latency was over 10 times lower than mine. As far as I can tell the only thing that differed was the ISP we were using.

I will admit that I too would take any results from a speedtest with a pinch of salt, and that goes for any speed test, but for us to have latency results varying so wildly from each other when connected to the same exchange, only points me in one direction for the cause of the issue.

I do hope that the rate limits are the cause of the issue, and that their removal will make things better, but if they werent supposed to afect latency in the first place, then I have my doubts.