cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you pay more for an unlimited/uncapped service?

N/A

At present I'm going to be getting my MAC code and jumping ship next week, which is a shame as I've been with F9 since '89 and been happy with the service up until now.

I'm looking at going to an ISP who advertises a true uncapped service, however it does cost more, £35 per month as opposed to F9's £21.99 offering for a 2 meg line.

Force9/Plusnet are going to lose customers over their new restrictions and I feel that they have made a mistake. Whilst we all understand that a business needs to make money, the business also needs to understand that it can only succeed if it meets the needs of it customers. The latest traffic management means that unless you are a light user, then your 2meg line is going to be severley reduced once you have used 20gb.

So have Force9/Plusnet missed a business opportunity? If they had made things clearer and given you the option to pay £35pm for a true unlimited 2meg account would have opted for this? I know I would, as apart from the latest traffic management restrictions I've been happy with F9 for 8 years, which in ISP terms is ancient Cheesy
16 REPLIES
N/A

nice idea but no ISP could do it unless they had ALOT of money to spare. cas if that £35 person decided to download 24/7 upto about 500GB for example, thats a big loss for the ISP.

but if BT is reformed, then i would expect all ISP's to go FULLY UNLIMITED!!!!!!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

As gary said, £35 really isn't anywhere near enough for an unlimited connection.

Wholesale costs of broadband are about £8 a month for the port, and then about £0.60 per GB used, so you can work out the point that usage becomes unsustainable, and how much you'd have to pay for unlimited (remember a 2MB connection if constantly maxxed out can use about 600GB in a month).
N/A

As gary said, £35 really isn't anywhere near enough for an unlimited connection.

Curiously, £21.99 used to buy an unlimited 512k connection with F9.

In fact F9 used to advertise on that specific point.

The technology has got better, wholesale costs have come down. Yet that same 512k unlimited connection is now seen as being impractical.

Okay those days were pre-CBC (Capacity based charging), and are long gone. But I couldn't help but point out the duality in positions encouraged by F9.
N/A

dont blame force9 blame BT, there the assholes behind everything!
N/A

The charging structure may mean that a user dowoading 24/7 is uneconomical, however you are never going to get 100% of your customer base doing this. Like most things there will always be a spread and the issue is the average. F9's own website states that the average premier account uses 11gb per month and at £21.99 pm I can't see that as being unaffordable.

In most businesses you have a mixture of clients, some are very profitable, others profitable and some make a loss.

There are ISP who currently advertise an unlimited service, with no caps. They may be doing this as a loss leader to gain market share, just as F9 did with it's original offering. The question may be how long can they offer unlimited deals? Who knows, however at present the F9 premier package is of no use if you want to do any serious amount of downloading. It has become an account for those wanting light use, with little or no p2p/bittorent/usenet.
N/A

what also annoys me is that ISP's like Ticali are advertising UNLIMITED broadband but then they put 30GB FUP in small print at bottom of adverts, its not unlimited!!!
N/A

A work colleague of mine has just moved from plusnet to ZEN and can confirm that he receives an "unlimited" service. I am not sure how long this will be the case for as I believe there is a certain amount of loss experienced by the ISP whilst building up it's user base.

Only when the ISP has reached a certain "customer threshold" do they tend to be underhand and deceptful with the terms and conditions. It's a pity really as I believe that the customer retention numbers would be better if they just came clean about capping limits etc rather than being underhand.

I am only just touching the limit as towards the end of the period my newsgroup downloads are seriously throttled. If this starts to be an issue then i'll move on. I am not interested and never have been interested in the cheapest service. The most important thing to me is customer service, which I feel there are not many companies out there I would trust.

F9/Plusnet is "pushing it" at the moment from a customer service perspective and as a result of this I have started looking for another provider.

There are plenty of providers willing to provide you with a service.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Okay those days were pre-CBC (Capacity based charging), and are long gone. But I couldn't help but point out the duality in positions encouraged by F9.

Yes, in the past we could provide unlimited connections, that was because BT just charged the port cost of the line regardless of the usage, however the port cost was a lot higher than it is now.

Now that we use CBC (AFAIK very, very few IPStream ISPs use anything other than CBC) unlimited is not viable. The market has changed and our products have changed to reflect that.
N/A

I think we can all understand the situation, however I think that he current solution is to tight.

What is the point of a SUP giving you 30/100gb limit, when the only way you would ever use this amount is through items that are now throttled to very slow speed once over 20gb.

If you want transparancy you may as well make the SUP 10/35gb as in reality that is what it is.
N/A

speed capping at 25 gig

Sad I have been leaving some tickets for the support team about the speed capping thats come into force and have just recived a response saying that force 9 have never sold there product as unlimited. This is a lie is it not ? I have 2 meg premier and it WAS sold as unlimited. I understand about having a download limit and but lets keep it real a 25 gig start limit is unrealistic come on force9 even bt have a 40 gig limit I would at least be happy with a limt of 40 gig to start .
N/A

i think ISP's should use a system like Google Mail, your total amount of freespace is decided by how much other people use but you will always have enough reserved for you. So for example if Bob (1 of 3 peeps) uses 200GB out of the 600GB ISP's capicity then the others (2/3 peeps) have the amount left split between em.

In F9s case: for example 200,000GB Capicity, if 3000 users use 50GB, the amount left is split between the others, so as not every1 downloads loads it would make stuff easier and package costs would vary depending on usuage so if one month, not very much is used overall then you would pay less at the end of the month, or a little bit more if it was over used, of course they would be bondaries!

i think this would bring package costs down quite a bit Cheesy
ukbrown
Grafter

for basic web brownsing and usenet I will have trouble downloading more than 20GB a month as I have now scheduled all downloads between midnight and 8am. This suits me OK at the minute.
N/A

If you want transparancy you may as well make the SUP 10/35gb as in reality that is what it is.

Don't even suggest such things, not even in jest.

Some of the amusing comments when FUP was axed became policy when SUP was introduced.
N/A

for basic web brownsing and usenet I will have trouble downloading more than 20GB a month as I have now scheduled all downloads between midnight and 8am. This suits me OK at the minute.

and the 80GB u could have used is kept in the pot for others to use, 80GB divided by all the other users but that can decrease if you use more. so if 5000 users only used 10GB out of their 100GB, 450000GB is split between the remaining users or decreased if the 5000 users decide to use more GB

does any1 like my idea ?