cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you pay 0.01p per email sent to stop all spam ?

N/A

It is well known that well over half of all email these days is spam (and thats being modest). A simple way of ridding spammers of their dirty work is by charging everyone a minute amount for every email sent. Say 0.01p per email. Thats 1p per 100 emails. This would stop spammers in their tracks as they send millions of emails a day making spamming unprofitable.

Just interested in how popular this kind of thing would be so started a poll on it.
11 REPLIES
N/A

I would have voted but there wasn't a 'I don't get spam' option :lol:
Community Veteran

I voted YES, but that was on the basis of 0.01p per VALID email to my account.

If I were to pay 0.01p per every spam, I'd be broke within a month. lol :lol:
N/A

Not entirely sure how this could ever work, my mailserver connects directly to the mailservers at receiving organisations.

How would you propose monitoring and charging me for those mails?

Fair enough, an ISP could charge you for using their mailserver, but you couldn't stop me from hosting my own.

It could be dangerous too, if you start charging for mails sent via a specific mailserver, there is a cash incentive for people to start hosting their own mailservers. (Either to charge folks for using them, or just to save cash themselves)

Lots of folks setting out to host their own mailserver, could (IMO would) result in an increased number of open relay servers about on the interweb.

It could make SPAM worse than it is now.

At the minute, the massive recent increases in SPAM have been attributed to botnets (networks of compromised machines)

A more 'real world' solution would be to educate folks to take care of their machines, and show respect for the global community.

There is truly no excuse these days for being unprotected, there are so many free AV and Firewall programs that if a user is averse to shelling out their hard-earned, and even more for folks to plunge their cash into if the mood so takes them. None of the programs I've seen are hard to install/manage, so there really is no excuse for not being safe.

I'd much prefer ISP's to start monitoring their clients, and issuing ASIBO's to users (Anti Social Internet Behaviour Order's) who act in a manner not condusive to being connected to the global superhighway.

My two penn'orth, although not sure its worth as much as that Wink
N/A

VERY well put James and worth far more than 'two penneth' Wink

I have to add I'm all for the ASIBO's :lol:
N/A

I voted YES, but that was on the basis of 0.01p per VALID email to my account.

If I were to pay 0.01p per every spam, I'd be broke within a month. lol :lol:

It would be 0.01p per email sent not received. thereby the cost problem would be with the spammers.

Good imformative post James. The logistics of it all sounds very complicated. The whole infrastructure of email would have to be changed to impletment any 'by email count' charges. So realistically I cant see my idea ever happening, oh well Cry
N/A

As someone has already pointed out, this whole idea is fundamentally flawed.

A much better suggestion would be death-by-firing-squad to everyone stupid enough to actually buy anything from a spam email. Once the motivation has gone, so will the spam!
joncooper
Grafter

so, would I be paying for just the emails I actually send, or the thousands there must be sent from xyz123@mydomain.plus.com ?
N/A

so, would I be paying for just the emails I actually send,

There was a very interesting article I read or saw somewhere recently. and I think it may have been the "Sci-Tech" section of BBC Broadband.Microsoft I think it was had put forward the idea that the sender "pays" lets say a penny to send an email....... but the recipient is given the option to waive the fee so therefore the sender would not actually pay anything if it was a genuine email,but presumable no one would waive the fee on spam email so it could be potentially very expensive for bulk spammers.

But it was only a short item so there was no word as to how this would be implemented...... but an interesting concept non the less.
Grimbo
Grafter

The theory is great, charge a 1p fee to send an email which is waived by default by the recipient unless they choose to collect it.

How on earth do you implement it though?

It would have to be agreed upon by all of the ISPs and the cost of new software and its administration would be immense!
N/A

As already stated, email is beyond the reach of ISPs. I also have my own email server completely outside of any ISP. It's even beyond the reach of our government as it is outside the country. It would be impossible to enforce charges there. Besides, spammers don't use their ISP mail accounts, they use botnets (as stated above) or badly secured mail servers. Even if all mail servers in the world were secured tommorow, it's not a massive jump from hacking any other service to gain root and installing your own mail server on someone elses machine.

Another problem mentioned above is who do you charge for emails from a certain domain? I constantly receive bounced mails from servers that fail to check SPF records. If they did, they would know that none of those emails were originating from my domain and they should therefore not bounce them to me.
Every piece of spam I have ever received had fake headers (about 6-700 a day).

A much more useful idea would be to charge any company whose products are sold through spam 10p for every spam sent in their name. Pretty soon after various governments (mainly U.S though, as that is where most spam originates) started doing that nobody would dare employ the spammers.
rikmoncur
Grafter

It would be a better idea if we got paid everytime a spam email arrives.
Fine the spammers, fine the ISPs allowing spam and pass the money onto the victims as recompense.