cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would u like F9 to mirror/host linux distros

N/A

This is a poll just to see how many of F9 Customer's would like F9 to mirror/host the main linux distro's.

regards
Mike
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Mike,

I think your making ALOT of assumptions here? what about complete linux novices who dont know anything about 32bit or 64bit let alone funny names like RedHat or Mandrake or Suse,etc,etc.

**OK If your talking to Linux Fans fine but please make that clearer!!

Ivan
Community Veteran

Not bothered here.
I'd rather see mirrors for Free/NetBSD's FTP servers and CVSup servers.

Also I'm kind of curious if it costs just as much for F9 to serve information from their servers to us as it does to get them from mirrors.

My instinct tells me no. Yes it still costs them the same for the BTw connections which connect us to F9, but the cost of usage of F9's pipes to LINX/JA-net/etc wouldn't matter if we were all using a F9 mirror.

But if that was the case, wouldn't we be using a F9 http proxy server for web pages?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
David_W
Rising Star

I got a 64bit CPU so yeah, I'd love to see F9 mirror the DVD of 64bit Suse 10.0, though they would, in fairness, have to mirror several of the popular versions in both CD/DVD/32/64bit. Major hassle and space for limited use. I just use wget and mirror.ac.uk to download them, does it pretty fast too (and cost me a lot of bandwith last month, hope I dont make the naughty list Cheesy)
N/A

that's reason why i'm asking if f9 would mirror them, using on bit-torrent will increase your bandwidth, but it would be good for them to host as would use less bandwidth on network, if users are only collecting from F9.

as for who the poll's for, its for anyone who wishes to get into linux, and is already using it.

I think most people would reliase the difference between 32/64 bit versions, especially as the know microsoft have released a 64bit version of windows

regards
mike
David_W
Rising Star

I read up on the 64bit XP, it sucks, its got almost none of the functionality of XP Pro, not even media player Sad I'ma stick with XP32 I guess.