cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would be happy with a stable 512K connection!

Xenolith
Grafter

Amidst all this talk of multi-megabit ADSL connections, I'm struggling to get a reliable 512 kilobit connection. I've had ADSL for well over a year with PN and on the whole it's been good. But, increasingly, I get periods of repeated disconnects and loss-of-sync. This can go on for minutes at a time, maybe up to an hour. At other times, the connection is good and stable.

I'm a long way from my exchange. My router readings are pretty marginal. My downstream attenuation generally hovers around the 63 mark. Downstream noise margin can be anywhere from 18 to 3 Db; generally around 10. I've seen it hit 1! I think this fluctuating (and low) noise margin is the root of my problems. I've tried doing all the usual stuff - ie. plugging the router into the master socket and disconnecting every bit of telephone hardware. It's hard to be sure if this helps : the problem is that the disconnects are intermittent so it's hard to know what is working better and what isn't.

My theory is that I'm at the edges of what will work and a bit of extra noise on the line (bad weather? lots of other people using their phone? squirrels chewing the cables?) and I get problems. I'd be very grateful for any views on this. Is there a fault or do I just need to put up with this? Is there anything I can do to alleviate the problem? I use a Netgear DG834G with decent microfilters. Is there a better router? I've heard that DrayTeks are better in low noise-margin situations?

And, just to be wildly optimistic, is there any chance of ever getting up to the dizzy heights of 1Mb?

TIA. Cheesy
3 REPLIES
N/A

I'm on 60dB line attenuation with SNR averaging around 16dB most of the time. Like you, sometimes this can be up at 24dB (very rare) and other times I've seen it dive down to 3dB for a few seconds at most. I think I've only ever see the router lose sync once over a 2 month period due to the SNR dropping down to depths of 3dB. I'm on a half meg connection which seems to be very stable.

The thing to watch for is if these figures change (get worse) over a period of time. If this is happening, you know it is a fault with your line and that something is slowly degrading.

Other than this, there is not much you can do about it. Quality of router also helps. Some routers (like Draytek which I use) have a special firmware which you can apply for very high attenuation and low SNR lines which may allow you to obtain a more reliable sync on your line compared to a cheaper router. Though, I'm running fine without even applying this "special" firmware.

A friendly chap at Zen has said that MaxDSL should give faster speeds to people like yourself and I - same technology as BullDog are using to supply their 8Mbit service. As well as giving faster speeds to people closer to the exchange, when MaxDSL becomes standardised across all exchanges, it will also benefit people further away - he said I should be able to obtain 1-2Mb speeds on my line once that all kicks off. Unfornately, since Zen (and many other ISPs) supply their broadband through BT, you have to wait for BT to upgrade the exchanges before all this becomes possible.

There's ADSL2+ as well (the 24Mb stuff) but this will only be viable to people with a line length of no more than about 2km - any further than this and the technology will not help.

Hope this helps.
Xenolith
Grafter

Thanks paygo; that's a help. Maybe we should start a support group for users with poor Noise Margins!

I think I'll go and peruse the Draytek web site. Just to add a bit more detail, I have checked with PN and BT and there is, of course "no problem" with my line ...

So, MaxDSL eh? Excellent. And from what I read we'll all have it very soon! :lol:
N/A

xenolith,

If you are interested (or indeed anyone else reading this is), check out the below which I've found recently:

http://www.internode.on.net/images/copyright/internode-adsl2-distance.jpg
http://whatismyspeed.sourceforge.net/demo/images/myimage.gif

This pretty much confirms that with a 60dB line attenuation (what I have) and 63dB (what you have), ADSL2+ will make no difference what so ever. However, it will allow the reach to increase on exceptionally long lines (lines that have up to about 90dB attenuation! (which is pretty amazing, I'm surprised that's even possible but there you go)).

It also confirms what my Draytek router is saying about the maximum obtainable speed on my line (when MaxDSL kicks in) which is about 3.5Mbits/sec. This is another reason for buying a Draytek - tells you lots of interesting things cheaper routers don't Smiley

So you should be able to obtain at least 2Mbit on your line. Just need to wait for BT (as usual). Hope this helps you in your quest to break the half meg barrier - here's hoping that will happen within the next 6-12 months!