cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would PlusNet please update me re the new VMBU tool

N/A

Been a while soince the new rules came into play but seems little news on the new VMBU tool that will show peak/off peak usage
Will it also split down and up
The tool is urgently needed IMO o customers can keep within the guidelines set, or are PlusNet having another rethink?? :shock:
36 REPLIES
N/A

There has already been a threading asking the same questions, to be honest untill PN make any statement, the work to create this new VMU is on-going.

There are a number of tools on the net, some of which are free, where you can monitor your own usage.
N/A

I don't want to monitor my own usage, and use some of my allowance downloading a tool Tongue I've not had any emails re usage and doubt I will, but that doesn't make me happy with all the changes of late

If PlusNet bring in sup's, fup's etc they should have the tools developed or delay peak time/off peak limits until the tools are ready
N/A

although the tools on the net can give you a rough idea - plusnet need to have a tool in place that all sides can view and monitor.

I have seen arguments in data centres between server clients and the dc who have conflicting figures of usuage due to to the way info has been collected.

It's a shame plus net did not have this in place before implimenting. I wonder if you phone or email them - will they be able to update you as to your current peak time useage?Huh
N/A

Your right it's not only a shame it's very poor planning..........

What I don't understand is if PlusNet can see what your using peak/off peak what can't we see those figuresHuh?

They were working on a new VMBU when FUP was around which was going to show down/up peak/off peak but it was abandoned as they could'nt get it right
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The new VMBU is being worked on at present, however it will be a little longer before it's available. We will need to test the tool extensively before it is made available for general use.

At present I know it's not ideal however to get on any of the managed profiles you will have needed to have used over 100GB in total on a 2MB account, which you can monitor with the existing VMBU tool.
N/A

So are you saying that using more that 30GB during peak period will not attract a managed platform but using in excess of 100GB at any time will?

Can you see users peak time usage, if so why can't we??

Also are we talking a 1024MB GB or PlusNets 1000MB GBHuh
Ben_Brown
Grafter

If you look at the SUP, if you use over 30GB at peak times but less than 100GB in total, you are warned but your connection isn't managed.

I can't personally see peak usage, however our Networks team can generate this information. Unfortunately this is time consuming and the data they get is not in the most consumer friendly format.

For the purposes of SUP 1GB = 1000MB.
N/A

Ben,

While I agree that it's down to customer's to really monitor their usage, I can understand their point and it's less than idea to bring in a policy without someway for people to track their peek usage.

I know your not the policy maker, but surely PN could have listed some packages to help people monitor their usage in the interim period before the new VMU is actually around.

Is there any sort of time frame around when we can expect this new VMU?

Thanks

Aaron
N/A

Is there any sort of time frame around when we can expect this new VMU?

This question does seem to be ignored, seems PlusNet are acting like Pipex and treating customers with utter contempt Cry

Why did PlusNet adopt the sharp business practices and being economical with the truth?? Cry

While I agree that it's down to customer's to really monitor their usage,

Why?Huh
ceridwen
Grafter

It is odd that at the beginning of the year PN could not give a definitive date for the introduction of FUP because the new VMBU *had* to be ready and working before FUP could be rolled out.

Indeed FUP was then postponed when the VMBU meter didn't quite work. (and then cancelled for reasons never fully explained).

Now however, SUP (which is essentially the same as FUP only with an off peak limit as well as a peak time limit) can be introduced without the new meter!

Matthew
N/A

Now however, SUP (which is essentially the same as FUP only with an off peak limit as well as a peak time limit) can be introduced without the new meter!

Really does need some explanation, but not more spin on the PlusNet's magic roundabout Sad
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Indeed FUP was then postponed when the VMBU meter didn't quite work. (and then cancelled for reasons never fully explained).

This is not correct. The decision was made that the FUP was not the right thing to do at that time.

With SUP, although a new VMBU is desirable (and is beingg constructed) it is not neccessary, as I've already said, to get on any of the managed platforms you need to use over 100GB in total, which the current VMBU tells you.

In August we contacted several users after they had exceeded the same criteria of the SUP, however at that time we had not released details of the SUP.

We are well within our rights to do this, and it is covered by both our old and new T&C's.

All we have done with SUP is publish these levels, after many requests from customers for us to do this.
N/A

please do correct me if i'm wrong but, we're actaully only allowed to download 29280Mbs a month during peak time?

assuming we drop 24mbs every "gig" we download and 24*30 is 720...

if your looking at the 100gb total then you're actually only allowed to download 97.6gbs?

I take it the VBMU measure in proper amounts so we have to take this into account? (i don't get near the 100gb limit but still its something to think about)

Hope that makes sense..
Ben_Brown
Grafter

VMBU uses the same units as the SUP.